Author Topic: Magus: Humans didn't know what he looked like?  (Read 7495 times)

Onikage725

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Magus: Humans didn't know what he looked like?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 06:11:08 pm »
Not so sure about that Ozzie == Magus bit. The knights did mention that the three generals had been released, and there was no mention (that I could find) that they thought Magus was actually on the bridge. </runon sentence>
Besides, I'm guessing Ozzie was around a while before Magus ever appeared in the Middle Ages.

I like that eleven-foot tall with lightning imagery. Over exaggeration is always fun.

Fair enough about the bridge (that's what I get for not talking to all the NPC's on my last play through). And Ozzie was around, since he seemed to be full grown when he encountered young Janus. Man, woulda loved to see the little guy kick his butt... but anyway.

Magus_Brokenhart

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:50 am »
Don't several characters in 600 A.D. actually refer to him as Magus? I know Toma and the Queen do. They seem to be very forgiving. O.O

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:45 pm »
They refer to him as Magus because the the "Blah blah, oh hello <player1>" coding in their script. If he's at the front of your party, they will talk to him. Otherwise, they won't spare him a second glance (or code).

Though I always did like Leene's "I ask for the sake of Magus. Please carry out their request." Seems sorta silly after they've been fighting for so long.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 01:19:15 pm »
I don't know how hard it would be to make the dialogues more detailed, but when I played Cross those days, I found some funny things:

I took Zappa to Dead sea and he was surprised when he saw Karsh and the dragoons frozen in time, so he knew his son had already "dead".
When I visited Zappa's house later, he talks nothing about that, but only metioned to call him when need.
It seems Zappa didn't tell anything about the fate of the dragoons to Zippa, so she still asked Serge to find Karsh.
So I put Karsh and Zappa in team and talked to Zippa, she only said "Oh you bring Karsh back" or something like that.
Then I kicked Zappa out of the team and put Viper in.
This, Zippa, Zappa and Karsh did had a long talk, but it seemed Zappa/Zippa still didn't know what happened in the dead sea, and they asked about other dragoons' fate...oh my, Viper was right there you know...
:picardno
-------------

Well, even if you brought Viper, talked to Zappa, and Viper took him Karsh's alive. Zippa still said the same thing, sigh...she must be deaf and blind.

-------------

It seems they didn't know Riddel at all...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 01:40:53 pm by utunnels »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:41 pm »
It seems not everything got covered. Either that, or they didn't had enough time to.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:05 pm »
Yeah, there are more than 40 characters...

So perhaps other than a re-translation, I prefer a rom hack that includes more details.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2009, 01:59:39 pm »
That situation is not the only one.

It's Radius, he is probably the only one who doesn't react if you have his counterpart in the party while talking to him. Unless it does happens at some point I never bother to check.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2009, 02:10:33 pm »
I think it's pretty ridiculous that I got Zappa and Karsh on my playthrough and didn't find out they were related until just now.

You shouldn't have to know a plot detail beforehand enough to go out of your way to find said plot detail :[

Anyway, maybe having everyone recognize and accept Magus as a member of Team Awesome was short-hand for the great "the party goes around and tells everyone in every timeline that Magus is okay now, don't try to hit him with your pitchforks" adventure they surely had off screen.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2009, 02:15:01 pm »
I don't know how hard it would be to make the dialogues more detailed, but when I played Cross those days, I found some funny things:
It'd be a lot harder to make detailed dialogue in Cross than in Trigger. For the NPCs to react differently to each character you show them, they would need forty different text cues. Then for longer conversations for different character combinations (Viper/Karsh, Zappa/Karsh, instead of just Zappa), you would square that; so, roughly 1600 different text cues per NPC, along with responses from PCs. And that would be for every important NPC, PC counterpart, etc,. Far too much code.
With Trigger, you only have seven PCs to write for, and very few NPCs that give character-specific dialogue.

Maggie, "Team Awesome" is what we call my Warcraft team at school. Does this mean Magus is my Warcraft buddy?
And I could have sworn Zappa and wife told you about Karsh if you talked to them in their backroom, at any old time... Not sure though. I only played Cross a couple months ago, with the Magus Unmasked patch. I'm still sitting just outside of Terra Tower.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2009, 02:21:32 pm »
I think it's pretty ridiculous that I got Zappa and Karsh on my playthrough and didn't find out they were related until just now.

You shouldn't have to know a plot detail beforehand enough to go out of your way to find said plot detail :[

Anyway, maybe having everyone recognize and accept Magus as a member of Team Awesome was short-hand for the great "the party goes around and tells everyone in every timeline that Magus is okay now, don't try to hit him with your pitchforks" adventure they surely had off screen.

At least a little girl in Termina recognized Serge and she was afraid of him(thought he was Dark Serge), then her mother told her that he's the good Serge. LMAO
BUT those fools in Arni had a meeting until the end of game, and they didn't recognize Serge at all, WTF...