Author Topic: What I'm talking about: The Cross fiasco  (Read 4262 times)

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
What I'm talking about: The Cross fiasco
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »
Rather than further pollute other threads and discussions pertaining with my direct distaste for Cross, and branches of posts pertaining to that, I'm going to compile "what I am talking about" into this single thread discussion. While I don't think this is the right placing for this, I don't see anywhere else in particular that is better suited.  Regardless,  I’ll be breaking this down into some of my greivences with Cross, and then a section on how my posts are being ‘evaded’, all tipped off with a conclusion to wrap together “what I’m talking about.” I'd also extend a welcome to anyone else wanting to throw in their 2¢ (or more) in this regard as I think that the addition of direct links between CT and CC manifest from CTDS brings into further light my biggest qualm with CC; that it weakens CT.  Assuming of course that anyone else reads this, and lives o_O

I.
Take this quote I’ve picked off from another forum that I found on the research I’ve done pertaining to Kato and Cross. 

“Chrono Cross was Masato Kato expressing his distaste for the original and the people he was originally forced to work with on CT by cheapening the original and forcing people to accept any sequel on his terms (he only got to write the 12000 BC scenario, hence the change from the rest of the game). Plain and simple. After years of pondering what went wrong, I've concluded it was just a very ego-driven project as opposed to one with any interest in what people liked about the original (hence, the relatively low number of people who like both games or at least feel strongly towards both). I'll go so far as to bet Radical Dreamers (the SNES gaiden) was based on events he had written for the game and had rejected by the scenario writers and was able to get made into a low-budget visual novel. And ironically, its' status as the original's sequel is probably the main thing that helped it achieve the success and positive feedback it did. Hey, that's why I bought my copy. I personally don't want to see the series continued under the same circumstances. Another Square-Enix (d'oh) collaboration with a similar team as the first? Sure. Another clash with Kato's ego and over-convoluted storytelling to tell a story of little substance? I wouldn't even bother reading the previews.” -GoldfishX

I agree with the sentements there, and utilize that quote because it shortens many of my own sentiments. Much of Cross is an ego driven project derived from his distaste for the Trigger project.  Kato’s interview from Procyon studio reveals this painful experience for him, and he further relates what he thinks of his work on Radical Dreamers, a project made from ‘his own interests’; “I mean... there's no way that I could allow people to play that game. I read my scripts from back then, and it's embarassing.”

The driving factor of the game, or how the plot works out, is the elaborate plan all schemed together to work out by a single person,  Masato “Gaspar” Kato.   While players ‘could’ make particular choices in regards to various decisions within the game, the most dramatic ones actually have little impact on the game itself, or the characters ability to make changes, because they’ve already been decided how they’re going to occur.  This is made evident even further in how characters end up being ‘uncharacteristic’ of themselves. Example: The transformation from “Schala” to Kid (and her nihilistic attitude) is more the manifestation of Kato’s own emotion, (something he can't kill...) rather than continued character development from ‘nature’ and ‘nuture’.  Authorship liberties taken for the convenience of his plot, rather than utilizing developed characterization to create a story.  It's poor writting gimmicks rather than skillful tools used for the craft.  (Gimmicks like these are used to blow out any child's story into a full length feature film that has a chance to make money, even before people finish turning the pages.) Plot drives are forces of action, rather than choices, or even pressed choices with consequences.  Additionally, just about any good point of Cross is the result of intentional implementation of gameplay success for the purposes of just selling the game.  It’s not meant to leave a legacy (or even continue it) be great, or have an impact comparable to its predicesor, (or any other story impression that an author has his heart in is trying to achieve) its simply there to sell the game.  Nowadays I can buy a "good" appliance, but many are actually designed to have a limited product life so one has to buy the product again, rather than years ago when something was pricer, but its lasted a long time.  Granted, certain technologies are actually better, but its sales gimmicks and not so much quality craftsmanship.  Cross is the same boat.

Giving the reviews that ‘trusted’ game reviewers have placed on Cross, it is a 'good game’.  Considering the regards that people have for it, in how its perceived in relation to other games, it effectively has no lasting impression on its own that is noteworthy.  Despite claims that its story is deep or its characters blah blah blah,  it doesn't recieve any form of recognition to demonstrate this.  It isn’t a “best game” or “top” anything.  Heck, its not even a consideration in gamefaqs dated poll, which is a sizeble expression of many peoples opinions.  So these ‘great scores’ this game receives actually aren’t an indication of how ‘good’ is it, but rather just another persons’ expressed opinion, one that apparently isn’t shared on a scale outside of the bandwagon.  This sentement seems to be shared by the producers of the game title largely because they not only haven’t introduced a continuation of the game (despite claiming they have interests and plans to do so) and instead continue to flub their previous success in our face several times.  People accept various faults from Cross as “because Kato said so”  rather than “because it developed that way.”  Its like the Chinese food of video game stories,  tastes great to some, but overall just doesn't stick with you.  So is it 'bad' because its 'not as good?'  It is when its dragging down another product with it.

From a writing standpoint in comic books, they fully allow fandom to become part of the stories, and explicitily rip ideas and sell them back to their source, because its ‘their product.’   Well why the hell doesn’t square do something similar to that then?  Well, after years of hostile resistance to this, I’d rather say they are in the re-re-re-release of CT.  Contrary to previous sentiments the production teams shared in regards to connections between Trigger and Cross, we’re sold added content pretty much derived from the fanbase, rather than premeditated stories.
Example?  Compare

“but Porre had some kind of intervention or help originating outside of the original flow of history. But if I start to explain this, it will take me a long time to finish, so I'll stop myself here. (laughs) As it doesn't directly have anything to do with the story of Cross, we cut the details out of the game. “

to

Dalton: “I’ll raise the greatest army the world has ever seen in Porre...”

Yea, that certianly took a long time to finish.  The changes made from one game to be a totally different experience that isn’t a sequel (Cross is Cross and not Trigger 2)  aren’t true anymore, or that rather the particular image needed for product sales isn't being used anymore, and instead another is used in its place.  We’re simply being shoveled crap, and taking it all in the name of Chrono.  ‘Good’ is a comparative stament between multiple options, as in ‘good’ ‘better’ ‘best’ 
Cross is a ‘good’ game because its designed to utilize the best tools Square had at the time to make a product designed to sell, despite prior staffing greviences.  It’s like Joe the Camel saying smoking, or cigarettes, are ‘good’.  Its a ‘good’ by appearances; under the gilding, is a load of literal crap that is corroding its surroundings.  Kato says is could be better ("Looking back on the works, I still get this feeling that there were a lot of things that were still left undone though")  and "I won't say the "best" Chrono." 

Frankly, I feel this is a decent enough start for now  (I can always say more in direct connection to the rebuttals that may come) and would now change my focus to how my previous thread posts where evaded.

II.
1. The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake, Page 3. 
I didn't ask about graphics gameplay or music.  How can anyone think its a fair comparison to weigh a game that you didn't finish in comparison to one you practically worship?  Oh course there isn't going to be comparable characterization to you if you didn't see it in action!  That's a trite post.  And here begins the evasion " I don't need to explain how awesome Cross is."  You're talking to a skeptic who doesn't share your opinions, so yes, yes you do need to explain how 'awesome' it is, otherwise you're just dodging my points.

2. Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course) page 16
Not a single responce even indirectly tied to anything I said here.  That’s evasion.

3.  Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course) page 19
 Bring out my own arguements? I did and they were ignored (evaded) I’m not the one posting a picture (that you didnt’ even make) and continuing to point at it as the ‘ultimate’ of any particular arguement.

4. “”  “”   page 20
So apprently refuting your ‘facts’ and demonstrating that they aren’t ‘facts’ (at least in how the given information is used)  is rambling about the sig?*  Its two mentions, and not even lengthy in comparison (particularly to my habits)  Unless you count other posters, (who guess what, I AM NOT) then that is hardly dwelling on or rambling about anything.  Its the basis of an actual discussion/arguement,  one  that’s once again, evaded.  There isn’t anything else in that post to “look at” when all there is is “point as sig” which is the part I was dealing with in relation to fallacies.  Context, use it.

5. “” “”  page 21
I wasn’t the one talking about character development.  I didn’t participate in that stream of posts.  If you’re refering at this time to the mention of comparisons that I issued in a different thread, you still missed the context.   Failure to deal with, refute or otherwise comment on “what I am talking about” in the context it is being talked about is evasion.

*what's 1.5 million sales compared to 2 millions sales in two months, let alone 3 rereleases? or heck, what's 1.5 millions sales if no one has anything exceptional to say about it?  Xenogears release sale is 1.19 million copies, and it actually is considering the "best" or "top" compared to other video games.  Super Mario RPG is  1.47, and again, its cited to be 'best' and even 'desired'.

If you don’t or can’t understand that much, then don’t act like you’re  “not afraid to go in a heavy discussion about it.”  When I get 'heavy' its more than just graphics and cute character designs.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: What I'm talking about: The Cross fiasco
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:12:58 pm »
I don't really know where you're going in Part II, but I'll just toss in my two cents:
It isn’t a “best game” or “top” anything. 
So being listed as one of the Playstation's Greatest Hits, isn't enough?
Hell, I'll just toss in some Wikipedia quotes to show how high-rated the game is:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Electronic Gaming Monthly gave Chrono Cross a Gold Award, scoring it 10/10/9.5 in their three reviewer format. GameSpot awarded the game a perfect 10, one of only six games in the 40,000 games listed on Gamespot to have been given the score, and its Console Game of the Year Award for 2000. Famitsu rated the game 36 out of 40 from four reviewers. As of July 2007, Rotten Tomatoes and Game Rankings rate Chrono Cross at 92 and 93 percent.

And I can't say I'm surprised that RD was made from Kato's own interests--was he supposed to make something he wasn't interested in? While the possibly shoddy quality definitely doesn't shine well on him; he really shouldn't have released it if he didn't feel that it was good (amazingly we didn't see a US release).

Chrono Cross was Masato Kato expressing his distaste for the original and the people he was originally forced to work with on CT by cheapening the original and forcing people to accept any sequel on his terms (he only got to write the 12000 BC scenario, hence the change from the rest of the game).
Goldfish's opinions are still opinions: the only fact I see there is that Kato was the one who wrote all of 12,000 BC. Perhaps the reason that portion of the game is different is because the other writers didn't follow his concept? Did he rush in and rewrite all of their work, no. To put it simply, Yuuji Horii wanted a game that dealt with Time Travel and Kato outlined the basic plot, events, and time line and worked on the 12,000 BC era personally. Other writers, including Yoshinori Kitase and Takashi Tokita wrote subplots and probably tried to tie the story together.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:30:13 pm »
Xenterex, I applaude you for creating a topic to lump the debate into, though I happen to love Chrono Cross for all it's worth.

As for my own opinion, I think Kato has done the best he can with the limitations of the medium and the corporate politics that no doubt play into videogame creation. He's much like Tetsuya Takahashi & Soraya Saga (Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode I) in that his genius simply can't be expressed 100% properly when he's got a huge story to tell and he's restricted to 40ish gameplay hours and project deadlines. Kato admitted as much when he stated that Magus couldn't fit into Chrono Cross despite his desire to the contrary. I mean, seriously, he may have wanted to keep the cast down to 15 characters but some corporate executive's kid wanted Poshul in. This stuff happens!

I know we say things like, "LOL Square Enix took the Dalton idea from the fans," but mostly in jest. Kato had Dalton/Porre planned all along. I mean, the guy in the 1999 Fall of Guardia cinematic does look like Dalton.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 12:47:45 am by FaustWolf »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:38:43 pm »
RPG's are a type of art form. As such they are subject to objective critique based on how well the game is constructed/how well the plot flows/how well the battle system works, etc. They are also subject to subjective critique, which includes whether or not a particular individual prefers the game, it's music, it's plot, etc.

So, this ginormous and heated debate can be narrowed down to the following two sentences (though I doubt people will shut up about it):

1) Is Chrono Trigger objectively a better game than Chrono Cross? I'd say yes. Chrono Trigger is a better made and well rounded game, but they are definitely two of the greatest RPG's ever made.

2) Is Chrono Trigger subjectively a better game than Chrono Cross? Well, that's your own damn opinion. Some people would say "yea", some "nay", but in the end - who the hell cares what other people think? Subjective criticisms are unfounded and of personal opinion.

Both games are wonderful games, and both games are way better than the majority of other RPG's out there.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:42:33 pm »
I mean, seriously, he may have wanted to keep the cast down to 15 characters but some corporate executive's kid wanted Poshul in. This stuff happens!
Yes, yes! We like to blame Kato even though we can't trace the blame directly to him. Games are still products: ultimately he came up with Cross's main storyline (a source of confusion to many), but the opinions and desires of the company still needed to be considered.
I know we say things like, "LOL Square Enix took the Dalton idea from the fans," but mostly in jest. Kato had Dalton/Porre planned all along. I mean, the guy in the 1999 Fall of Guardia cinematic does look like Dalton.
They gave us the idea, we ran with it, and they decided to show it to us. But come on, Xenterex has a point that the way they decided to "explain" Porre's rise is kinda strange. I mean, it's just so blatant...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:47:02 pm »
Yes, the way they explained Porre in CT:DS was downright ridiculous. My guess is Kato was limited to that one text box when he was given this one chance to explain things, or some hapless Square Enix intern was tasked with distilling Kato's ideas into that one lonely text box. Had the extra content been designed such that the party chases Dalton throughout all the dimensional distortions, we may have gotten something way better.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:47:44 pm »
I see. Your problem is that Chrono Cross, was in fact, according to you and your quotes without source, what Kato would have wanted for Chrono Trigger, and that's why it's not a good sequel.

Well sorry but I don't see the logic behind that. Perhaps the guy did make it because of the reason you said, but even so that doesn't make it a bad sequel. And I still don't really get what your problem is with the game. The sloppy character development? The vague story? All the same bullcrap everybody else spouts around.

About the rip on Kato that it would take too long to explain the Rise of Porre: If you think it's that simple, why don't you explain to me how Dalton ended up there and how he knows Guardia and Porre and 1000 AD. I'll admit that is was a little rushed in CT but all that means is that another installment is coming up where you'll probably get your detailed explanation.

Yes, I did read your entire post. Not sure I understood all what you meant cause it's a friggin' huge wall of text and english isn't my best language.

Now my counters for my so called post evades

1. The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake, page 3

The hell dude? I wasn't even in discussion with you. I just noted the FF7 / CC comparison and gave my own comparison of the two. So according to you I can't determine the graphical and musical quality from FF7 by playing half the game? Oh I see. And even though I love CC, it's not like I'm going around screaming nonsense about it. I'll accept you giving your views on the game and I will reply back at you with my own views.

2. Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course) page 16

It's not evasion when I'm not talking to you, except for that sig pic which I was acting dumb with I agree and there's no excuse. But at that point I wasn't taking this discussion seriously yet.

3.  Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course) page 19

Those were arguments? oh

4. “”  “”   page 20

Uh I get the feeling you misunderstood me. I simply meant that none of the information in the picture is false. It's not like I or anybody else forged in the information on it. I agree it's not really relevant in this discussion anymore but what the hell

5. “” “”  page 21

I probably wasn't talking to you and if I were it was a mistake on my part

----

Stop comparing Super Mario RPG and CC, they're of a different level. Not in quality, but in genre, even if they're both RPG's. Xenogears I haven't played so I won't say anything about that.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:58 pm »
Yes, the way they explained Porre in CT:DS was downright ridiculous. My guess is Kato was limited to that one text box when he was given this one chance to explain things, or some hapless Square Enix intern was tasked with distilling Kato's ideas into that one lonely text box. Had the extra content been designed such that the party chases Dalton throughout all the dimensional distortions, we may have gotten something way better.

I was theorizing prior to CTDS that Lavos would possess Dalton and make him do it, or something... We could have had Lavos talking directly to the party and openly revealing its true ambitions!

*fan projects proceed to beat the crap out of Pyt Fumv and steal this idea*

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 10:30:12 pm »
So being listed as one of the Playstation's Greatest Hits, isn't enough?

Playstation's greatest hits collection is a representation of sales.  A product can sell, and still not be great, and the reverse holds true too.  Yea, I'm aware of the wiki entries of the scores on the ratings of Cross, that's exactly what I was pointing out, those are the expressed opinions of people in a studio (generally who's job it is to make it an opinion)  They generally use base qualities to rate the game as a means to inform people if it should spark their initial interest.  What I'm getting at, or what 'isn't enough' is despite its high scores, rarity or rarity among the paid pollers, is that these sentiments and remarks don't hold up.  If lots of people revered it for how it is rated, shouldn't it be a poll option, even noteworthy mention of "Top"  or "Best" surveys?  

Well, in the listings of information of Cross, it doesn't have reception like:

Chrono Trigger has recently placed highly on all five of multimedia website IGN's "top 100 games of all time" lists—4th in 2002, 6th in early 2005, 13th in late 2005, 2nd in 2006, 18th in 2007, and 2nd in 2008.[73][74] GameSpot included Chrono Trigger in "The Greatest Games of All Time" list released in April 2006, and it also appeared as 28th on an "All Time Top 100" list in a poll conducted by Japanese magazine Famitsu.[75][76] In 2004, Chrono Trigger finished runner up to Final Fantasy VII in the inaugural GameFAQs video game battle. In 2008, readers of Dengeki Online voted it the eighth best game ever made.[77] Nintendo Power's twentieth anniversary issue named it the fifth best Super Nintendo game.[78]

or even something like
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars received very good reviews, including an 8.75/10 from Electronic Gaming Monthly,[14], and audience-made "best game of all-time" lists consistently feature the game, such as 26th on GameFAQs[15] and 30th at IGN.[16] Japanese audiences also received Super Mario RPG well with 1.47 million copies sold, making it the third best selling game in Japan in 1996

In the June 2008 issue of Nintendo Power, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars was revealed to be the #2 "Readers' Most Wanted" Virtual Console title (second to Earthbound);[33] in the next issue, it had moved down to third place

It has a high opinion, and a sales hit in relation to its initial launch (presumably on its name base) but the hype simply doesn't remain.  It doesn't sell for $5000, $100, $80, or even $50.  I can look it up on ebay and pick it up for $16.  What kind of a "great hit" game has a greater value in its strategy guide than on the entertainment value of the game itself? Thus is the oddity of Cross; its value is about that of data on a disc for the purposes of being view, not so much treasured, or even collected.  

Besides, level 10 is reserved for people with their femur bones cracked in half. =P
-----------
This stuff happens!

Are you familiar with Raiders of the Lost Arc?  Its an acclaimed critical success, one of the highest grossing movies ever made, and its as source to be studied by anyone dealing with cinematography, and I'd even include story presentation.  And yet it had budget issues.  That's part of the biz, (and quality of a product,) knowing how to work within your means.  Much of what I stab at in relation to how Cross turned out is based on what Kato and team say in their respective interviews.  As writer, cg planner AND director he has alot more at his reins than most do with the production of a story. 15?  Even in jest he claims the goal could've been up to 64 characters.  
Why work on something that you hate?  Because that's your job, and that's the biz.  Have you read what he thought of his days working on Trigger?  Have you wondered why he went freelance and doesn't have the most solid statement to say in regards to have he feels about leaving (then) Square in the first place?

I know we say things like, "LOL Square Enix took the Dalton idea from the fans," but mostly in jest. Kato had Dalton/Porre planned all along. I mean, the guy in the 1999 Fall of Guardia cinematic does look like Dalton

Effectively, everyone rips off from everyone else in the first place, so what does it matter right?  Its in how its presented. That's how The Incredibles can exist and Pixar not get sued to death by Marvel. If I'm told several years ago something "takes too long to finish" explaining, then I except a certain degree of complexity, length or even finesse, and not so much fan service.  There's a tolerable amount that author's can use for gimmicks, or even crafting toosl, in narrative misleadings. And then there are those that have difficulty in conveying information.

I'm pretty well convinced that the production of Chrono has little meaning to Kato outside of being a gig.  It's like a singer who doesn't have her heart in the song; people may say she/he has a good voice, but they can tell the difference.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »
Don't want this to seem as a double post (at the time i'm writing this) but there was quite a bit added between this and my previous post.

1. The possibility of a Chrono Cross remake, page 3

The hell dude? I wasn't even in discussion with you. I just noted the FF7 / CC comparison and gave my own comparison of the two. 

So, "About the FF7 / CC question:" the question I asked, the only question that had been presented between FF7 and CC was what you were addressing there, and yet you weren't even in a discussion about it?  If you're posts/opinions aren't up for discussion, then why post or participate in a direct response to a given question?  If you're just stating stuff to be 'as is' then make an article about it and then have a moderator lock it.  Again, I (the question) wasn't dealing with music, graphics or whatnot pertaining to the comparison of the two games.  I can see why you aren't in a 'discussion' about it with me since apparently all you were doing was posting for the hell of posting.

I probably wasn't talking to you and if I were it was a mistake on my part
  Alot of times I was addressing you, but not just you as I phrases things to involve several posters.  Regardless, a lot was simply ignored. I didn't label section 2, Strictly for Dark Serge, as there are others involved there, but you were certainly a factor in things simply being bypassed, or asking for my attention again.

but even so that doesn't make it a bad sequel.

Actually it kindof does.  Also, while I didn't directly link any of my sources (i'm not giving a dissertation on ethics in MLA format here) I did mention that I am using words directly from Kato and staff from interviews he's involved with.  Not alot to pick from there.  Anyway, part of why it does make Cross a 'bad sequel' is because its not a sequel.  Cross is Cross, and not Trigger 2.  The process of taking this not sequel and making it into a sequel is causing a forcible change of writing that effects the previous game.  Changing the intent of product is a signal of lack of creator confidence in the product, or in other words, 'bad.'  Now I'm not sure if I actually heard this next bit as a citable source, but from personal experience I can tell that when owner's tamper with the continuity of a product, it suffers for it.  So my rule of thumbs when dealign with stories of any medium is "Don't tamper with your story continuity."

Even previous to these recent changes that demonstrate that Cross isn't all that great, there are issues within the game itself.  Uncharacteristic is a hell of a lot worse than a plot hole.  Have you even paused to think "hmm, what changes could possibly occur that would cause such a dramatic change of character between Schala and Kid?"  Heck, not even just schala and kid, but schala and schala and schala.  Furthermore, I find that the writing of the plot line scenarios in Cross itself is poor because it has the approach that effective any 'what if' is a timeline possibility that can be pulled into existence at a whim, rather than an effect of change; which actually is a departure from how time is presented previously in SNES CT.  When writing a story, your lead characters need a quantity of 'action' based on their character to progress the plot.  Too much of Cross is about the characters being 'acted upon', which again, is a bad story element.

Again, I'm not calling Cross financially unsuccessful, I'm calling it a bad product, largely base on my analysis of its writing mechanics, what its staff have to say about their work, and how people actually compare the game to others.  Who cares if it sold 1.5 millions copies in a world wide distribution if those 1.5 million people's net say is that the game simply isn't better than other ones someone else can buy? That it's deeper characters with more history don't end up standing out more than ones who don't?   Hell, Aol tries to use numbers to sway people to but their product, but that doesn't change its quality.   In the business market, there's no such thing as 'good' deal's or 'sales'.  A product's value is simply what people are willing to pay for it, and its advertising job to convince people what its worth, and they it should be bought.  You're previous picture may just be stating numbers, but then so can I.  Despite being "10" to someone, (which is an indication that it is better/best at something than others) they're not paying more than $16 for it.

edit:  paid better attention to the bit about english not being you best.  Yea, I do have a horribly tendency for overwriting.  Much of my participation on various online forums is so I can practice writing and get better at communication.  The sometimes end up arguing circles around myself because I'm not conveying well what I'm trying to say.  That's why it helps if I'm asked to clarify XD
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 11:26:33 pm by Xenterex »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 12:02:01 am »
I don't have much to add since my previous post pretty much sums up that I think this argument is completely stupid and pointless to argue about, but I'd just like to say:

Dark Serge, your new sig is totally champion.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 09:23:41 pm »
Chrono Cross is nine years old, right? Who the fuck is gonna pay the full price for it now? It's on an outdated system and there really isn't a demand for it right now.

Look, I understand your argument: people labeled it a 10 because that's their opinion and we shouldn't take that as our opinion, and we definitely shouldn't use sales a reason to buy the game. However, the sales figures do indicate high financial success and the ratings are a pretty fair indication of how good the game could be.

Chrono Cross wasn't a conventional RPG, in my opinion, that's what made it unique to some and a turnoff to some. It had a very convoluted storyline and wasn't all that straightforward. Now, if you're not a fan of that, fine, but personally I wouldn't consider it a bad product--a strange product, but not a bad one.

As for continuity, I'll meet you in the middle: it's a little annoying to change a previous-existing storyline to accommodate another storyline (i.e., I don't think it was necessary to change part of CT's storyline to accommodate CC), but what can we do? Kato may have had options, but apparently reworking CT's storyline and ending through new additions is what he chose. Hopefully he'll tie up himself in a more traditional way, but chances are that this is all we'll get. CC is a great game, it's not too much like CT, but it's fucking neat.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 02:11:29 am »
Chrono Cross is nine years old, right? Who the fuck is gonna pay the full price for it now? It's on an outdated system and there really isn't a demand for it right now. 

And that's a reflection of the game's emphasis on utilizing technology* more than other means.  Technology degrades overtime in value, so who indeed would pay full value for something outdated?  I have placed part of an emphasis on the pricing of it because other games (with reportedly less ratings)  continue to sell for full value, if not more.  "bad product" may was probably too harsh, but its legacy from what I see, and have subjective experience in, is its little better than above average.  Just as you said, or is more the normal/expected result for products over time, who pays full price for an outdated system?  Only the really good and great continue on in more than just monetary value and have continued demand.  Certainly there is applause given to those who undertake unconventional projects, but generally only does the the recognition amount to more if the product then ends up as more than just a financial success from its initial release.

*quote take from Kato's interview to Procyon Studios:  "the whole point in making Chrono Cross was to make a new Chrono with the best available skills and technologies of today."  I take to mean "skills with the technologies"  rather than skills in other fields.  Many of the things I point out against Cross is on its literary techniques and less of its tech specs, which I think its a reflection of why it isn't worth more than its outdated data coding.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 10:39:26 am »

Look, I understand your argument: people labeled it a 10 because that's their opinion and we shouldn't take that as our opinion, and we definitely shouldn't use sales a reason to buy the game. However, the sales figures do indicate high financial success and the ratings are a pretty fair indication of how good the game could be.

Chrono Cross wasn't a conventional RPG, in my opinion, that's what made it unique to some and a turnoff to some. It had a very convoluted storyline and wasn't all that straightforward. Now, if you're not a fan of that, fine, but personally I wouldn't consider it a bad product--a strange product, but not a bad one.

As for continuity, I'll meet you in the middle: it's a little annoying to change a previous-existing storyline to accommodate another storyline (i.e., I don't think it was necessary to change part of CT's storyline to accommodate CC), but what can we do? Kato may have had options, but apparently reworking CT's storyline and ending through new additions is what he chose. Hopefully he'll tie up himself in a more traditional way, but chances are that this is all we'll get. CC is a great game, it's not too much like CT, but it's fucking neat.

Trigger is 14 years old, and people still pay the full price for it

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 12:39:34 pm »
Ah, now I see where we're going with this--aye, CT is definitely older than CC and SNES games have a reputation of appreciating in value, both for the fact that they're becoming collector's items and the fact that people just want an unopened copy. You can get the Final Fantasy Chronicles for $16.99--the same price that these same people are selling CC for, and both are sealed and on the same system.

Yet a game like FFVII can top $60.00 for an unopened copy. Why is that? Because there's a bigger demand for FFVII and it has sold around 10 million copies worldwide. I don't know how rare FFVII, but I'd say that it's one of the more in-demand games for the Playstation, just like CT is an in-demand game for the SNES. CC, however, is not. Now, if you want to assume the game was terrible based the fact that the game is currently unpopular, then go ahead.