Author Topic: ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com -- Video review of Chrono Cross  (Read 1526 times)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com -- Video review of Chrono Cross
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:18:17 am »

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 05:22:35 am »
"I will go out on a limb here and say that Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack of any game. EVER."

-champion.

"...and a perfect 10 from Gamespot, one of 6 games out of 40,000 that they have reviewed"

-doubly champion.

Overall conclusion - Chrono Cross = champion rpg

The Entity

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 06:13:57 am »
"I will go out on a limb here and say that Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack of any game. EVER."

Cross does indeed have good music, but some of it is pretty corny - the battle music in particular gives me a headache.

The Entity

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:21:11 am »
Also, as for the "greatest soundtrack" comment, I have to ask: Has this guy ever played Secret of Mana? I mean, Cross has some great music, but, IMO, it's not that great.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 09:39:19 am »
Yeah, as far as the RPG soundtrack contest goes... I think SoM, CT, and CC would be pretty much on the same level.  It's hard to choose one over another.  Chrono Cross may get the upper hand simply because it's music is orchestrated, while the other two are stuck in SNES-era bit music...  If SoM and CT had orchestrated music - oh man.  It'd be on like Donkey Kong.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 10:27:06 am »
Also, as for the "greatest soundtrack" comment, I have to ask: Has this guy ever played Secret of Mana? I mean, Cross has some great music, but, IMO, it's not that great.

Have you done Terra Tower? The music there gives me goosebumps every time. Most notably the Dragon God battle. I thought that part had the most awesome music in the game.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 02:20:39 pm »
Secret of Mana had some spectacular music--so did SD3 and Legend of Mana, but SoM really took the cake--I'd say it's right at the same level as CC, both games have their ups and downs.

Anyhow, that was a pretty brilliant review--I gotta say that I agree with the bloke on just about everything he said. I'd point this video to the many Cross haters; they're the one's who really need to hear what he's saying.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 02:32:59 pm »

Cross does indeed have good music, but some of it is pretty corny - the battle music in particular gives me a headache.

Double poster posted twice. Isn't that bad or something? :? <(???)

[/offtopic]

Sux I can't watch the vid. I'll bet it's good.

EDIT:

I thought {the Dragon God battle BGM} had the most awesome music in the game.

Agreed. I even gave it a new title for use in an RPG I help run. It's called "To Fight Against The Gods Themselves" on that site.

NOTE: Whoops, accidentally posted that separately.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 02:36:08 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 04:06:45 pm »
It's an alright video.  He more or less regurgitates the "10" rating factors (as that's pretty much the only notable rating factors it has going for it) compliments the music and then brings to the plate a single counter point against fandom against Cross, while acknowledging, and then disregarding (set that aside to make a 'fair' judgement, or something to that extent) most other notable points the game has against it.*   

While its track does have some notable tracks, (the games two best selling points that are repeated over and over again are its music and its title >.>) I think its attribution to being 'great' music is more tied to its sound quality.  I myself have several of the tracks, and I'm able to enjoy them because I don't have a particular association with the game to most of the music.  Outside of a few locations/themes,  it just ends up being good music, and not so much 'Crono Cross music'.

note* The point he does make about it not being a logical dislike disregards story-based tie-ins that would be prevalent to the point.  It's not so much "omg the characters I love aren't involved this sucks  (which is stupid reasoning) but rather why aren't characters that would actually be tied to and concerned about the major conflict of the game not involved?  They don't have to be involved, but they are the sort of characters that would be involved if they could be, so its fair that if they aren't there should be a 'why.'

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:27:01 pm »
Uh oh. Black Wind won't like that. ROFLCOPTER :lol:

The Entity

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:17:34 am »
Have you done Terra Tower? The music there gives me goosebumps every time. Most notably the Dragon God battle. I thought that part had the most awesome music in the game.

Agreed. The music during the Dragon God battle is some of the best music I've ever heard, in any game, probably one of the three best pieces of music I've ever heard in a video game. Spectacularly epic.