Author Topic: El Nido / 65000000 B.C.  (Read 5263 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:03:39 pm »
I'll probably get cursed for posting this, but don't take it for anything, really. I've gone over this with people, and there is no explanation, leaving coincidence as the only option.

Really, stay away from crackpot theory-spitting with this one. Posting it for your own enjoyment and hmm-factor. marr0w found it.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 06:28:46 pm »
Well, it makes sense if you want to go with the easiest theory, though I am sure that there are tons of holes to slice through it.

After all, we didn't see Dinopolis/Chronopolis (whatever the hell it's called) before Lavos arrived and it sure couldn't have appeared after...

Hmm huh.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:00:35 pm »
It can make sence. The continents could have floated away from eachother. Like in the future, there is no Medina or Chores. They're like this one retarded continent again, or maybe they sunk under the water. El Nido could have infact just floated to where it is now in the Crono Universe, if not, then maybe Chronopolis used some pregeographic information to make the island of El Nido like that.

If not, maybe the programmers just took the concept of that or something. I kinda like the idea that it is 65,000,000BC because Mt. Fire or whatever seems like a crater where Lavos could have landed. El Nido/Reptites find the flame and become smart. (By El Nido i should also say Zealians cuz they were probably there before the timecrash and all)

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 09:29:15 pm »
woah... heh, anyway, in defence from crack-pot theorys that are soon to come:  El Nido was a tiny group of Islands.  The continent on 65,000,000bc was the same relative size as the rest of the world...

Zaperking

• View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 09:43:49 pm »
The only thing that I see that is weird is that shot is a closeup. El Nido is acctually pretty small compared to the rest of the Chrono World.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 02:48:49 pm »
Yea that is funny, but it isn't possible because of the size differences.

Daniel Krispin

El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 06:41:20 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
woah... heh, anyway, in defence from crack-pot theorys that are soon to come:  El Nido was a tiny group of Islands.  The continent on 65,000,000bc was the same relative size as the rest of the world...

True, and we must remember that it is beyond doubt, explicitly, known that all of the islands of the archipeligo were made by the researchers in 8,000 BC (roughly.) I'm not sure if the central island was existant before than, however.
As for the size, however, I still consider Zenan an island, even though it is said to be a continant. If it WERE a continant, Guardia would be at least the size of Canada or the US... at the least larger than Greenland, or approximately the size of Austrailia; no ancient land, with slow communications, could be that big... and travelling across it once would be a matter of weeks and months, not days. Thus, in despite of what is said, I think that 'continent' is simply the 'mainland', ie. a land larger than El Nido. If it were so large, the population would be in the millions, which I quite doubt. Anyway... El Nido is in the west. This is plainly in the east.

Sentenal

• View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 07:59:51 pm »
you dont actually expect such sizes of land and country size to be accurately reflected in a SNES video game, do you?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 08:06:24 pm »
No, but across two video games, yes. CT represented the world, and CC represented a backwater island.

Zaperking

• View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 11:12:54 pm »
In the ending of Chrono Trigger where you lose vs Lavos, You see other places besides Guardia, Porre, Choras and Medina. (BTW Porre looks pretty big X.X Military eh?)

And theres other places that we don't know about. Can't get a pic till I replay Chrono Trigger.

Daniel Krispin

El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 12:04:50 am »
you dont actually expect such sizes of land and country size to be accurately reflected in a SNES video game, do you?

Not at all. All I meant was that there is no way that Zenan is the size of a continent. These empires are of the old sort, and have limited communication and travel abilities. Porre, likely the most advanced of the group (I'd figure about the level of 18th century European colonialism), couldn't even sustain something too massive. And certainly not Guardia. Look at what happened to the great empire of Alexander: it split between his generals Ptolomy, Selucis, and Antipater (I think) almost at once. At a time when it takes one a month to cross such distances, it would be infeasable to keep order and watch in all places, and to quell rebellions. And Guardia lasted one thousand years! Thus, if it was middle-ages type for most of its ages, it could not have been larger than, say, the Roman Empire (which, although it lasted 1200 years, was the grand empire for only some 300 or so, from the death of Caesar to roughly Constantine.) And they even had wonderfully good engineering and roads! Sure enough, they're bigger. I wager about... 500km from east to west Guardia and, at least in so far as my writing went, capable of raising an army of about 25,000 (slightly larger than the city state of Athens in the Peloponnesian war, unless my memory fails me.) Or, in more recent terms, a small kingdom of Europe. Certainly not the tiny pixle-strewn map it shows, but not a grand empire the size of all Europe, either.

Zaperking

• View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 10:45:54 am »
Guardia is most likely a small country.. Like we see Crono's house. That can represent many. Then we see Leene Square which is like 1 second walk from Crono's house. In a scale, that walk can't be over 10KM+ because everything would have probably been close. We see that in the Chrono Trigger OVA aswell. So I'm guessing that basically 70% of the Zenan continent is not populated. An example is the forest, mountains, big desert until Fiona turns it into a forest >.>

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 01:59:47 pm »
The features on the world map are not to scale and their relative locations are symbolic at best.  Truce, Guardia Castle, the Millennial Fair and the Cathedral should all be within a days journey instead of spread across half the continent.  However, the landmasses on the world map appear to encompass the entire globe, which can be circumnavigated or viewed from space.  Assuming the planet must be similar in size and composition to the earth, its equatorial diameter is 40,075 km.  Based on this scale, Truce, Porre, Choras and Medina are separated by thousands of kilometers.

I agree with Guardian_of_Ages' comment about the logistics of governing a large territory.  Zenan is a vast continent.  Most likely, in 600 AD, the Kingdom of Guardia only covered a small portion of the northern continent and many other unnamed countries existed.  The time period seems similar to Europe during the Crusades as far as technology and politics.

Slightly off-topic...

Civilization in 1000 AD is comparable technology to 1850-1900 (refrigeration, typewriters, steam power), however there was no industrial revolution.  The population is at pre-1750 levels (< 500 million), most people live in rural areas and the primary industry is agriculture.  However, scientific knowledge is closer to the present because Lucca and the Guardia military were capable of developing the Dragon Tank, Gato and the Telepod. I would attribute the lack of widespread industrial progress to a lack of fossil fuels.  (I guess Lavos ate them.)

Sentenal

• View Profile
El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2005, 04:15:17 pm »
or, we could say that the world CT takes place on is much smaller than earth.

Daniel Krispin

El Nido / 65000000 B.C.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2005, 07:47:21 pm »
or, we could say that the world CT takes place on is much smaller than earth.

Well, no, we could not, unless we wish to throw out all of physics with it, rending most of the scientific discussion on these forums useless. You see, a smaller world would have less gravity. To make it that much smaller you would probably have enough gravity to be able to jump 20m and more into the air.