Author Topic: The RPG discussion thread (formerly Final Fantasy XIII)  (Read 12368 times)

idioticidioms

Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:03 pm »
Rofl, just because it's on youtube that they use gambits does not mean that it is impossible to do it without.

First of all, it isn't 'Yizamat', it's 'Yiazmat.' I remember my fight with Yiazmat very well, and I did it completely without gambits. And, it lasted for well over an hour. Gambits don't do anything that you can't do yourself. They just make it easier for you to just use only one character. Like I said though, they have a slow reaction time in some cases and I just didn't like that. For example: the person in the video shown above was level 99 when they defeated Yiazmat. I wasn't. It was incredibly difficult, let me tell you that, but it wasn't impossible.

I know that I also did the same for the other three you listed: Omega, Phoenix and Hell Wyrm; but Yiazmat stands out the most in my mind. It truly was one helluva epic battle.

Way to be a fag. I have fought Yiazmat. (by the way that was a typo, I was typing fast) And when you are only level 55(or something I don't remember, I was not over 60 though) you need to use gambits. Otherwise you would have to level grind forever, which always ruins games for me. That was a video of how to beat him under an hour, they used gambits. Not the only way to beat him. I figured you would at least be smart enough to tell. :roll: Plus my back up characters were only level 16, I got really lucky with the Quickenings (some ridiculous combo like 30 or something). And I don't know if you used a guide like most people I didn't, I had about 10 elixirs and that was it I had no more Items after that either, plus one Bubble Belt. So unless you prepared for fighting him(which always makes me mad when people do because they know exactly what to do when fighting him and that ruins the game and there is pretty much no reason for fighting him if you don't learn to do it yourself) and if you left once you never really beat him, or at least he beat you once too. And I don't mean it like you die, I mean it like from now on the score will be 1-1. I remember having Ashe doing nothing but heal decoy and reverse the other two. while Vann and Basch tried to kill him. Took my over 4 hours. I really hope they never make a boss like him again, because he was just ridiculous. But that my nostalgia taking over, the point remains gambits are an essential part of XII's strategy and you never wasted time fighting the loser enemies because of gambits and mostly everyone was just walking around in the game.

You know, you can get offended and pissed off at me if you will, but there's no point for it. You said that for some bosses, you can not defeat them without using gambits and I proved you wrong. No need to get pissy and call me a fag. Yeah, I have a guide, it's Limited Edition BradyGames. Did I use it for the boss fights? no, I did not because I wanted the challenge of figuring the them out on my own. Yiazmat took me many tries to finally get the rhythm down and when I did, I kicked his ass. I fought the entire grueling battle out in one go and actually did die a couple times because I didn't know I could leave during it.

Seriously, don't get mad just because someone proves your statement wrong.

and the following is being posted in case you try to edit your way out of being wrong so that I look stupid. (some people are known to do this)

My answer to that. You can't not use Gambits, maybe on loser enemies, but on bosses like Omga, Yiazmat, Hell Wyrm, or Pheonix.

I know I'm almost full-up on the irony factor, but it's really not necessary to go that far in your public ostracizing. If you're going to quote in order to point something out, fine...but it's not worth it just because you think they might edit it out of their post. I mean, if your point is to point out their mistake then them editing it should be what you want.
~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:15:30 am by V_Translanka »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2009, 08:29:01 pm »
I think I could have really liked the FFXII combat if they tweaked the gambit system a little. In fact all they would need to do is remove to finding and buying gambits and it should be fine. All of the "HP<20%" or Enemy flying should automatically have been available and you get the ability or magic gambits when you learn the spell.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:11 am »
That's how I felt as well. The fighting in XII wasn't bad, but gambits made me lazy and at one point I was like I wish I didn't need to walk there because now I can't complain about the enemies, but I want to.

idioticidioms

« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »
I apologize for coming off the way I did in my last post here. Sometimes when arguing a point I tend to go a bit too far. It is something I'm working on, but that doesn't mean you guys should have to put up with it when I slip up. I'll work harder to make sure it doesn't happen again.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2009, 02:16:47 am »
It comes out soon and looks pretty good.

Here's hoping. The SO series is one of my favs. I really like the possibility of free-travelling between worlds on your ship, but I have a feeling it is just going to be a simple point-and-click mechanism and not the epic space RPG I both hope for and expect from a system like the 360.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2009, 05:45:15 pm »
Well, I didn't like the first one and the second one had some bad characters, but I got through it. I mean it definitely made the story to three better when I figured out what symbology was.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »
You didn't like the first one? I thought it was great personally. The storyline was great and graphically it was beautiful. It really pushed the power of the SNES to its limits. I've seen 2D Playstation games that didn't look as good as the first Star Ocean on the SNES.

The second one is often many people's fav, but personally I thought it was only decent. It could have been much, much better and trailed off near the end.

I have high hopes for the 4th, and truthfully since I don't own a 360 I may buy one solely for this game depending on the reviews it gets.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2009, 06:04:38 pm »
Yeah, I don't understand people who don't understand the first SO, myself. I count it as one of the SNES best right up there with CT & FFVI and I haven't even played all that much of it! I love the character branches.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2009, 08:30:35 pm »
The only characters I ever really liked were SO3 characters, thats kinda why it was my favorite. I buy the fact that some of them were a little weird but they didn't have cat ears(except Roger but he covered them with a helm).

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2009, 08:42:36 pm »
I didn't like Peppita, Roger or Adray and I got all of them in my playthrough and that gave me a massive sad face...:(

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2009, 09:31:20 pm »
Why would you get Peppita? She sucked, you should have waited to get Nel or Albel, they were ok. I liked Adray though. My team usually considered of Fayte, Sophia, and Roger. Adray and Maria were my alternates. The only reason I got Roger was because I accidentally made him an awesome weapon, and I didn't need to buy anything for him and I got confused and thought he was a character that didn't need weapons. But he is seriously powerful.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2009, 10:50:07 pm »
Because I didn't know, duh. :lol: If I ever bother to play it again I'll leave Roger in his stupid cage to rot.

How did this stray so far from FFXIII again? >_>

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »
We might as well recall this the RPG thread.

EDIT: Done. Now we're not off topic. Anyway the reason I liked SO3 was because it had the item creation thing. I mean overall it was a great game either way, but that really cinched it for me. The characters were better in my opinion also. Another thing is it's fighting was real time and 3D unlike Tales, FF, and Chrono. I'm worried SO4 will ruin the creation system to be honest with you.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:31:59 pm by ZealKnight »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: The RPG discussion thread (formerly Final Fantasy XIII)
« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2009, 12:26:47 am »
Uh, hasn't the item creation system been apart of the series from the start...? If you turn off Wait, those other series become real time as well...and Tales of Phantasia's battle system is almost exactly the same as the SO series (though also not 3D)...I can't say for the other Tales of games though...

ZealKnight

• View Profile
Re: The RPG discussion thread (formerly Final Fantasy XIII)
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2009, 11:10:22 pm »
Uh, hasn't the item creation system been apart of the series from the start...? If you turn off Wait, those other series become real time as well...and Tales of Phantasia's battle system is almost exactly the same as the SO series (though also not 3D)...I can't say for the other Tales of games though...

Really? How did I miss that? Well I mean RT as in run around and strike, and Tales isn't 3D but I haven't played Phantasia.