Author Topic: The RPG discussion thread (formerly Final Fantasy XIII)  (Read 12372 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy XIII
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2009, 11:20:04 pm »
I know I'll probably get shit for this but two battle systems that I really, really enjoyed were:

Final Fantasy XII's and the Star Ocean battle system (hasn't really changed that much. 2 + 3 were better than 1 IMO.)

And my absolute favorite battle system is (drum roll please): Xenogears and Xenosaga III.

Those were the only RPG's I've really played in which the battles were more fun and never got tedious.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2009, 01:57:36 am »
StarOcean 1 is the same now as SO2.. I'm not sure about SO3, never played it before..

I prefered Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny battle system, I loved how it is 2D. :D

idioticidioms

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:33 am »
Tales of Phantasia battle system is pretty much the same as Star Ocean 1's....

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2009, 02:19:56 am »
Yeah I'm not sure which game came first, but Star Ocean 1 and ToP have pretty much the same battle system. SO2 is pretty much the same too, but on a 3D battle map. SO3 is pretty much the same as 2, there weren't that many differences.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2009, 02:35:40 am »
Xenogears has a really fun battle system. For one that's even more of a deviation from ATB, the Grandia games have a very fun system.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2009, 08:39:37 am »
I have never played Xenogears, regrettably, but reading up on it they talk about action points.  I like Fallout and its TB system with action points, so Xenogears sounds good.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:49 am »
*blink* :shock:

Hello... Um... Wow, thanks guys. Really wasn't expecting the back-up. And, Idiom, I admit I do take some things seriously, but in order to perceive the lack of seriousness, said lacking needs to be obvious. Like when I fail to perceive someone is joking, it's because the joke factor wasn't obvious.

[/offtopic]

While KH's battle system is, IMO, overall best, I can accept CT's ATB system and a direct turn-based system like Paper Mario and Paper Mario 2 has.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 10:50:23 am by Shadow D. Darkman »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2009, 01:30:36 am »
I don't like "real time" that much because it turns into having to rely on AI too much. And so far I've mostly hated AI in RPGs always. That's basically how I feel about it, I guess. I like being able to control all of my party members (DS DQIV>FC DQIV).

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2009, 01:32:29 am »
Bah, that's always been the only bad thing I've seen in RTC, compared to TBC. In RTC, your "party" is just one or more CPUs.

idioticidioms

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:44 am »
that's what I liked about FFXII. you could switch between them really quick and, if you're on top of things, do what you need to do with them and switch back to your main character as he was finishing up. I hated relying on the Gambits in it because they reacted too slowly.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2009, 10:23:46 am »
Yeah really I hated the whole Gambits thing.. I stopped playing FFXII after taking a quest that was too difficult for my party's level, the one with the cocktrice and that farm... can't remember the name of that place... Anyhow I remember trying for so long, only to get raped over-and-over by that damm cocktrice... A week later I was told by a friend that I'm way too underlvled for that and would have to wait for about 25 lvls later.  :picardno

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2009, 03:41:48 pm »
that's what I liked about FFXII. you could switch between them really quick and, if you're on top of things, do what you need to do with them and switch back to your main character as he was finishing up. I hated relying on the Gambits in it because they reacted too slowly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stlsGVYkhp0

My answer to that. You can't not use Gambits, maybe on loser enemies, but on bosses like Omga, Yiazmat, Hell Wyrm, or Pheonix.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:25:59 pm by ZealKnight »

idioticidioms

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2009, 04:49:16 pm »
Rofl, just because it's on youtube that they use gambits does not mean that it is impossible to do it without.

First of all, it isn't 'Yizamat', it's 'Yiazmat.' I remember my fight with Yiazmat very well, and I did it completely without gambits. And, it lasted for well over an hour. Gambits don't do anything that you can't do yourself. They just make it easier for you to just use only one character. Like I said though, they have a slow reaction time in some cases and I just didn't like that. For example: the person in the video shown above was level 99 when they defeated Yiazmat. I wasn't. It was incredibly difficult, let me tell you that, but it wasn't impossible.

I know that I also did the same for the other three you listed: Omega, Phoenix and Hell Wyrm; but Yiazmat stands out the most in my mind. It truly was one helluva epic battle.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2009, 06:37:40 pm »
Rofl, just because it's on youtube that they use gambits does not mean that it is impossible to do it without.

First of all, it isn't 'Yizamat', it's 'Yiazmat.' I remember my fight with Yiazmat very well, and I did it completely without gambits. And, it lasted for well over an hour. Gambits don't do anything that you can't do yourself. They just make it easier for you to just use only one character. Like I said though, they have a slow reaction time in some cases and I just didn't like that. For example: the person in the video shown above was level 99 when they defeated Yiazmat. I wasn't. It was incredibly difficult, let me tell you that, but it wasn't impossible.

I know that I also did the same for the other three you listed: Omega, Phoenix and Hell Wyrm; but Yiazmat stands out the most in my mind. It truly was one helluva epic battle.

Way to be a fag. I have fought Yiazmat. (by the way that was a typo, I was typing fast) And when you are only level 55(or something I don't remember, I was not over 60 though) you need to use gambits. Otherwise you would have to level grind forever, which always ruins games for me. That was a video of how to beat him under an hour, they used gambits. Not the only way to beat him. I figured you would at least be smart enough to tell. :roll: Plus my back up characters were only level 16, I got really lucky with the Quickenings (some ridiculous combo like 30 or something). And I don't know if you used a guide like most people I didn't, I had about 10 elixirs and that was it I had no more Items after that either, plus one Bubble Belt. So unless you prepared for fighting him(which always makes me mad when people do because they know exactly what to do when fighting him and that ruins the game and there is pretty much no reason for fighting him if you don't learn to do it yourself) and if you left once you never really beat him, or at least he beat you once too. And I don't mean it like you die, I mean it like from now on the score will be 1-1. I remember having Ashe doing nothing but heal decoy and reverse the other two. while Vann and Basch tried to kill him. Took my over 4 hours. I really hope they never make a boss like him again, because he was just ridiculous. But that my nostalgia taking over, the point remains gambits are an essential part of XII's strategy and you never wasted time fighting the loser enemies because of gambits and mostly everyone was just walking around in the game.

ZealKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2009, 06:52:09 pm »
I know this is off topic but I figured we're talking about other RPGs why not.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/starocean4/news.html?sid=6204664&om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;2

Star Ocean 4 Q&A with the developers. It comes out soon and looks pretty good.