Author Topic: Final Fantasy 7 - Chrono Trigger Connections  (Read 4758 times)

TerraZack

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy 7 - Chrono Trigger Connections
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 08:09:27 am »
There's been a few threads about CT and FF7 connections (as previously linked)  but frankly, I don't see much my way of connection between the two.  I do, however, see a lot more connection between FF7 and CC.  I've mentioned that I'd seen these connections before, and ventured to offer to post the connections, but I never did.  So, I'll do so now.

FF7 - Cross comparison

Most obvious:

Materia -> Elements:

A customizable magic allocation system, with strategic benefits in even the placement of each piece, that includes elemental magic, attack abilities, and summons.  Both even have a limited effect use per battle.  Both are technological advancements designed to draw from a connection to the planet, and both have a story episode of being stolen.  Plus, both play a key factor in the one chance each team has to avoid the games' crisis, and the completion of this plan is largely made possible by contributions made outside of the playable characters  (Bathesar -> Aeris, after she died)

Outside of having to use the main character, each other playable character's only unique contribution to battle lies in a few unique special abilities.  These abilities aren't limited to being just direct damaging attacks.  (techs vs limit breaks)

Characters:  Protagonists.

Young men that have two factors of identity crisis as part of the development of the story.  Both have identities that are 'dead' and need a process of recovery to getting back to being themselves.  Both are involved in a love triangle between two playable characters, with the 'new' girl friend effectively winning out.  The identity crisis, and a key portion of the plot for both characters are tied to dark protagonists that influence several years of life to both characters, effectively making them who they are for the course of the game.  (Sephiroth's gene's make Cloud into a solder, screw with his memories, and even delve him over the edge into mako poisoning.  Serge's
father steals Serge's identity)  Furthermore, both lead characters have the key factor needed to bring up the ultimate destruction and share a connection to the end boss.

Other Characters:

Leena -> Tifa:  Original girlfriend of the main character. A promise made to said gf plays a key factor in the progression of the story.  (Serge's hunt for the necklace shells leads him to the connection to Another World,  Cloud enlists in soldier)

Cait Sith -> Harle:  A jester character who's identity isn't what it seems to be.  Their spying leads the main party into conflict with each spies corresponding party  (Cloud fights the Turks, Serge the dragons)

Kid -> Aeris:  New girlfriend that plays a large role in the setup and conclusion of the game's story that also need to be rescues on more than one occasion, and even have a cinematic death scene.

Sephiroth -> Linx:  Antagonists of the story that are dark in character, use unusual weapons, challenge the identity of the lead character and use each corresponding hero as a means to further their plots based on utilizing each characters identity.  Both villains have a cinematic scene as a result of them burning something, and also another scene where they stab a significant playable character.

Other connections:

Each game's hero group has a conclusive battle with the developers of the games technological fathers of that games system of magic  (Draconians vs Shinra)

The pursuit of and actions taking accordingly on behalf of stopping/fighitng one villainous group leads to the reveal of another group that are fought through a systematic process of boss fights.  These new bosses also share a connection with the planet and are distinguishable by their color.  (Dragons vs Weapons)  One of these particular fights in both games is capable of being concluded outside of combat.  (Niki's concert vs the Sister Ray)

The planets in both games summon these extra bosses as a means of balance, and/or defense.  (draconian timeline pulled into counter balancing chronopolis, weapons are summoned because the lifestream is being culminated)

The primary/most dangerous antagonist to the story envelops itself in an otherwise inaccessible area that they use to hide/protect themselves while they grow into destructive fruition.  This boss is a merge between a human and an alien being from another world.
---------------------------------------------------------

I could post more, but that's already pretty lengthy and I think is a good summary base for just how much I find the two games overlap. 

Magus>Vincent

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 04:56:10 pm »
Were any of the FF7 creative team working on CC?

Only one I know of off the top of my head is Kato.  He was an editor for FF7 and actually wrote the scene of Cloud and Tifa in the lifestream.  Maybe more than that, but that's at least what he takes credit for from what I've read.

Yes, there are some rpg cliches between both games, several of which are perpetuated throughout other games as well, but few of those have the same impact on both the story and gameplay between games.  Example: Xenogears does have an identity crisis in the lead character, who's antagonized by his father's own identity issues, but it doesn't have a love triangle, rainbow packed angels (rainbow mechbot maybe, but I'd relate the Angels to Weapons, but they're not tootie-fruitie like the dragons.)
Timeout here.  I've just run a train-track collision here mid thought.  Geez, maybe Xenogears is just about a world having an artificially made replica of Lavos falling on a world and the fun that inspires >.>   Lead character with identity issues that has an antagonistic father that's fighting an alien monster, who merged with said hero's girlfriend, and in turn also (that is the monster) wants to absorb/merge the protagonist.  Th monster is also a tapped power source use for both technological machines and also effects evolution of the planet's species.   >.>

Whatever.  Everyone rips off everything anyway and nothing ends up being original.  I'm going back to bed

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 08:16:26 pm »
Every RPG ever made actually takes place in Marle's autistic mind.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 08:19:05 pm »
Every RPG ever made actually takes place in Marle's autistic mind.

Excuse me, but I take offense to that.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 08:29:07 pm »
Oh sorry, sorry.

Every JRPG takes place in Marle's autistic mind.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »
*sigh*

Still offended, here. Try not using Autism-related jokes.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 09:23:08 pm »
(Google Tommy Westphall)

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009, 09:29:58 pm »
How about "no." Please remove the relation to Autism.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »
If you're gonna be so uptight maybe I don't want you in on a not-entirely-obscure reference to 80's television.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 10:42:33 pm »
I'm fine with calling Marle stupid, as I admit she can be stupid at times, but saying her stupidity is connected to Autism? Sorry, I draw the line there.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009, 10:51:37 pm »
If you'd google what I asked you to google, you probably would have realized it's not a "lol marle is stupid" joke, it's a dumb joke about connections between series.

And for someone so insulted by the mention of Autism, you don't know a lot about it to think it's equivalent to stupidity.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2009, 11:13:01 pm »
*glares, but sighs, calming down*

Look, I'm just too used to people calling me stupid because of how it affects me, so please remove it. I'm asking politely.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 11:23:39 pm »
Calm down Shadow. She won't remove it, and shouldn't remove it, because it not insulting at all unless your going out of your way to be insulted.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 08:17:42 am »

Gonads or butt?

Why do people call you stupid Shadow? 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:19:35 am by placidchap »

TerraZack

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile