Author Topic: Doomsday Scenario: Lavos  (Read 30597 times)

Kazuki

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Doomsday Scenario: Lavos
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2005, 11:03:04 pm »
*wonders if an IQ in the 140s would be considered "smart" enough to leave the planet*

Anyways, I would probably be fine due to being on the wealthy side of the white american youth (Sad state of affairs that I would be placed above somebody else, but that's how it is). I DO think that the Women and <18 would take priority, as the children are the future of civilization and it's age old chivalry that the women go first.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2005, 11:22:59 pm »
Quote from: Kazuki
*wonders if an IQ in the 140s would be considered "smart" enough to leave the planet*

Anyways, I would probably be fine due to being on the wealthy side of the white american youth (Sad state of affairs that I would be placed above somebody else, but that's how it is). I DO think that the Women and <18 would take priority, as the children are the future of civilization and it's age old chivalry that the women go first.

Yay! I will still live!

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2005, 12:00:50 am »
No, not quite, Nightmare. You're mistaken for a "young adult" and have to stay behind. Owned.

Crono21

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2005, 12:06:02 am »
Actually, the more I think about this.. It wouldnt work.
Okay. Theirs absolutly no way everyone can be saved.. Well thats not gonna go over well with the people who get turned down. I have a feeling it would turn very bad real quick.. Mass civil wars. riots etc.. We'd probably end up destroying ourselves even before Lavos arises..

Sir Frog

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2005, 12:31:52 am »
Quote from: Hadriel
Quote from: Crono21
But im not sure how they would decide who gets to go and who doesnt.

IQ testing, probably; only the smartest people get to go.

Even though it would certainly be in my interest to think otherwise ( :wink: ), I do not believe that IQ should be the only criterion.  For instance, if everyone permitted to join the "Strangelovian" society were highly intelligent, who would be willing to do the more menial tasks that would be required to recreate a well-functioning society?  Indeed, who would be able to do them?  

In my opinion (and keep in mind this is the result of just a few seconds' thought) the ideal microcosm would have to populated by a group of people who roughly represent the present population.  Obviously, certain people would be undesirable altogether (e.g., criminals, unproductive people, the sick) and others would be highly desirable (e.g., engineers, doctors).  But by no means would a society composed entirely of smart people be ideal.  Indeed, productivity--which is weakly correlated with intelligence at best--should be given a higher priority than intelligence.

Edit:  Just remember what happened when Mensa tried to run Springfield!

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2005, 12:39:27 am »
They would have to take me! I'm so disturbed that I would probly tell Lavos were to strike next if I was left on Earth!

JK

Muffins

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2005, 11:46:57 pm »
I've only had the time to read the first 2 pages and last one of this topic.

But it seems to me that it's fairly accurate that Lavos's emergence is a sped-up time display. I honestly think that something as large as lavos moving through the planet would actually be detected.

Thus I would see a massive military build up in the expected area. The eruption taking out several 10s of thousands of lives in an instant, followed by a knee-jerk reaction nuclear strike.

Judging from the fact that 1999 didn't have the firepower to take out lavos, I really doubt we do as well.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 12:52:40 am »
Quote from: Muffins
Judging from the fact that 1999 didn't have the firepower to take out lavos, I really doubt we do as well.

I believe that the world was finally at peace. There was no more need for weapons, and thus, Lavos appears and they are helpless to stop him.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2005, 07:20:15 am »
At a threat of an attack, you can not just get ready and fly to Mars and explode them. Lavos is a powerful creature, by the time they could've got ready, they all would've been dead.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2005, 07:53:28 pm »
Off-topic discussion has been split to here: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?p=33749.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2005, 11:16:09 pm »
I am honestly not sure if anyone suggested this possibility before (and if so, ignore me), but: What if Crono and Co. instead of resolving to personally fight Lavos instead chose to "spread the word", warn the denizens of 1000 AD about Lavos?

Given 999 years to prepare, do you think they might be able to win through somehow? Would Lavos sense the change in the wind and strike preemptively?

Personally I think that if the entire WORLD concentrated it's resources on finding a way to counter Lavos, and given that much time, it could do it. Opinions?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2005, 03:21:01 am »
Hey, your right. Why cant people rely on other people these days

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2005, 01:48:11 pm »
Unless the people learned how to use magic I really doubt they could have destroyed Lavos completely. They might have been able to take out the head of the shell, but to kill the innards takes more than strength.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2005, 02:35:39 am »
hey, i killed Lavos mainly by using swordplay. Bu a whole army i would presume would be able to defeat it.

Discoman

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2005, 09:15:16 pm »
Well remember that Lavos would probbly kill the entire army. In the "you lose" ending, they state that porre and other cities are wiped off the map in seconds. So the armies could have been killed in the blast. (they don't mention Guardia which does seem to tie in with CC)