Author Topic: Serge/'The Chrono Trigger' and fate (not FATE)  (Read 5755 times)

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Serge/'The Chrono Trigger' and fate (not FATE)
« on: April 20, 2005, 02:57:17 am »
I never really though of fate (as in destiny, not the FATE in the game) when playing CT/CC, and i find that a lot of movies and stuff ruin the idea of fate, and I always thought that CT/CC never had any relation to it.. however, after thinking it over a bit, i think fate plays a major part of CC (in my opinion it is present in CT, but everyone's fate is unquestionable, except for whatever change of fate that resulted in the altering of the original timeline), however, unlike other things, neither game butchers the idea

after reading a bit of the Dead Sea FAQ Refutations and Salt for the Dead Sea, i thought of the fact that, according to some of the theories, Serge goes against the normal course of fate, on the level of Lavos' and the Entity's trying to change/change-back fate (i forget exactly, but from what i remember, Lavos brings back chronopolis to affect the past, and the Entity brings dinopolis from the reptite timeline to cancel out the affects of chronopolis, and chronopolis uses FATE and the records of fate to limit the changes in history, correct me if i'm wrong)

So.. i'm guessing that Serge has FREE will, or at least that his actions are unpredictable.. but then again, maybe the actions of Lavos and the Entity (chronopolis/chronopolis) allowed for Serge's living (because w/o chronopolis, Serge would've died from the panther, right?), and maybe it was just that Serge's actions have high effects

but, personally, i like Serge's having the ability to change the future without the influence of the Entity (thus being what i consider a chrono trigger), while the Entity is also a chrono trigger, and can influence anyone or anything into being one (like crono and co.)

thoughts?

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 01:17:28 pm »
I think the main principle behind CT was that there is no fate.  You are going against history, trying to change the future, or trying to change the planet's fate.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 06:53:09 am »
Serge probably does have free will. If the whole party dies, that little speach appears. "And so Serge was never born. Fate has no mercy for those who defy it" or something like that. So basically Serge was just a glitch in the system. Lavos should have always existed, and simply ruined the future, maybe somewhere around 10,000AD it would have become better or something. But before Crono defeated it, this caused a whole chain of events to occur. Serge would one day have to come into the picture because the Chronopolis Belthasar would want to rescue Schala, causing the dimensional split and Serge to be born. So this all goes back to Crono and co.

Maybe fate wanted the dimensions to be destroyed? If it did, this may mean that the Time Devourer can only destroy it's own one or something. Or maybe theres a mega dimensions where several dimensions are parrallel to eachother, but not in contact with other dimensions like where Dinopolis exists.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 01:27:45 pm »
Quote from: Zaperking
Lavos should have always existed, and simply ruined the future, maybe somewhere around 10,000AD it would have become better or something.

Huh? Why would the Entity go through all the trouble of Chrono Trigger if its going to fix itself anyways? Remember what the Mother Brain was doing to humans? They would have been extinct waayyyy before 10,000 AD if she was allowed to continue her plans.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 01:41:20 pm »
Quote from: CTcronoboy
Quote from: Zaperking
Lavos should have always existed, and simply ruined the future, maybe somewhere around 10,000AD it would have become better or something.

Huh? Why would the Entity go through all the trouble of Chrono Trigger if its going to fix itself anyways? Remember what the Mother Brain was doing to humans? They would have been extinct waayyyy before 10,000 AD if she was allowed to continue her plans.

I agree. I think the planet was slowly being drained dry of anything that could support biological life by Lavos, who was using it to create his Spawn that he'd launch to OTHER planets. The Robots might have a future, but who knows? How long is Lavos' reign going to last?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 02:29:59 pm »
I know that normally after fishies (say it with me now, 'FISHIES'!) spawn, they die...Perhaps this is likewise the natural cycle of the Lavos species?

Magus-X

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2005, 03:02:40 pm »
I agree with all of you. But one question why would that guy who summoned lavos in 6,000,000 B.C. wanted to destroy world or the race. And why does lavos want to destroy the human race or the world. What is he out for revenge or something.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2005, 03:26:50 pm »
Quote from: Magus-X
I agree with all of you. But one question why would that guy who summoned lavos in 6,000,000 B.C. wanted to destroy world or the race. And why does lavos want to destroy the human race or the world. What is he out for revenge or something.

Umm...

Have you played CT? You should know Lavos' motivations if you have. I think you are thinking of Magus from 600 AD.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2005, 03:28:25 pm »
What? Nobody summoned Lavos in 65,000,000BC (if that's when you mean...and if I have the date right too...damn all those numbers...so...confusing...so...much...PAIN!!!!!!!)...I think that Lavos destroying the world is just a part of Lavos' natural life cycle. A Lavos lands on a planet, manipulates the life on it and drains the planet's energy to spawn and repeat the cycle.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2005, 04:08:57 pm »
what?  I'm thinking he was talking about magus... lol, if thats right, then someone who has a magus sig doesn't even know the storyline behind him, lol

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2005, 07:33:45 pm »
Or, he could be talking about Azala.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2005, 07:39:48 pm »
I suppose that "Red Star falling" thing that Azala says could misead someone... If they hadn't paid attention to anything immediately preceeding or following that event.

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 07:45:21 pm »
I don't see why it's impossible for Azala to have influenced Lavos's landing.

Lazarus Plus

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2005, 12:40:46 am »
Quote from: GreenGannon
I don't see why it's impossible for Azala to have influenced Lavos's landing.

What technology could Azala possibly have that would influence Lavos?? There was no magic in 65,000,000 BC and they were not as advanced as the denizens of 1999 AD... What could they do?

GreenGannon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2005, 03:26:06 am »
They were more in tune with the planet, I don't find it much of a stretch to assume some command of the elements.