Author Topic: Serge = Janus Theory  (Read 28195 times)

Philosopher1701

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2005, 10:17:33 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Quote from: Philosopher1701
Here is an idea that is somewhat farfetched:

Janus: One among you will shortly perish.

Janus predicted the death of Crono.

Serge "predicted" his murdering of Kid.

You must be joking. Premonitions are hardly a unique circumstance! True, Serge has some foresight, as does the child-prince Janus, but the ability to read and feel omens being a commonality is hardly grounds for them being the same.

Can this theory not simply die once disproven? The fact of the matter is simply this: Serge looks different, thus his bone structure and DNA is inherently different. On the physical side, they are surely not the same. Likewise, mentally: Janus is swift to angry speech, Serge is silent and compassionate. The only caring Janus shows is for his sister, whereas Serge cares for everyone in his group and, indeed, if the path goes differently, spurns her company upon first meeting. If he was truly Janus, and had any trace of such a mindset, that is not a very caring or brotherly way to act, considering they had been seperated by millennia. Thus their emotions differ as well. So what then remains? The soul? Perhaps, but nothing can be proven either way for, if the soul does not make its presence apparent, neither then would it have any influence on their caring for Schala, thus it may be discounted.

So there we have it, and I hope finally. Even if Serge WERE Janus, he is so changed that he is inherently a different person, and his caring for Schala is no different than that which any other would give to her, had they known her as well as he did. In fact, his love of her is far more amorous, and if he is truly her brother, that would be a strange thing. If Serge is Janus, Janus is dead. But to even assume this, one must raise only the loosest connections possible. And are we not forgetting Guile in this? Yes, there was an intent for someone to be Janus: Guile. Why then would they, if they lacked the time to tell his story, covertly mean another to be Janus? It is quite the absurd stretch.

It's as simple as that.

I said that it was a farfetched idea.  :wink:

WingedDestiny

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2005, 04:56:40 pm »
One thing I've noticed is how people in this thread keep saying that Magus and Serge are far too different to be the same person. Personally, I've never even thought of this possibility before, and really don't intend to persue it anymore than I will here.. But I must say some things before I forget.

If Serge was a clone, reincarnation or whatever of Janus then it should be obvious why they differ so much. First off, both were raised in different time periods under different circumstances. Janus was raised as a prince for the first half of his life, and lost the only person he held dear. Serge on the otherhand was raised entirely differently as the son of what? A simple fisherman? Eitherway, this would easily explain the differences in personality. Secondly, the source of their magic itself.. If I remember right.. [ And please do correct me if I'm wrong. ] Zealians seemed to have come to rely on Lavos's power. Therefore I'm assumeing that in a way, Magus and all Zealians drew their power from Lavos in a way. Perhaps if Magus hadn't been drawing from this source he may have had a different innate. Or perhaps magic is based on ones personality itself and therefore through the different upbringings they were able to have two seperate types of magic.

Anyways, just to make this clear, I do NOT support this theory at all, however I do think its a bit interesting and wanted to put my two cents into it.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2005, 06:08:49 pm »
There is a difference between Innate Magic, and Lavos Magic.  The people of Zeal used their magic via the Mamon Machine, and thus Lavos Magic.  Without the Mamon Machine, the people of Zeal lost their Lavos Magic.  Magus has no need of the Mamon Machine to use his magic.  We know that innate colors are not decided by personality, because when Serge becomes Lynx, Serge/Lynx is still Black Color.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2005, 06:37:27 pm »
Quote from: Sentenal
We know that innate colors are not decided by personality, because when Serge becomes Lynx, Serge/Lynx is still Black Color.

But when Lynx becomes Serge, Dark Serge is also black. What gives?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2005, 09:29:27 pm »
Hmm...That seems like something that needs it's own thread...Almost plot-holish if I do say so myself...

Perhaps, uh...You can gradually change your Innate? Or it can change? Perhaps in a way like Pip changes it's Innate?

No idea...

RadicalDreamerLiz

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2005, 11:35:43 am »
SilentMartyr said

I... don't think so. Hmm, it is interesting, but there is no evidence that Serge is adopted. If Marge is Serge's biological mother than that idea is out the window.

I agree with this because there is no proof that Serge is adopted, and it is stated that he was born to Marge and Wazuki.  There are many characters in the game that make references to these people as Serge's parents, such as Leena, Miguel, and Marge herself. Janus's mother would be Queen Zeal, if he was really Schala's brother, and nothing ever hints that Serge and Queen Zeal are related. In addition, if Serge is Janus, then wouldn't he also be Magus? If Kid is really Schala, and Serge is Janus wouldn't it be kind of weird that neither of them knew who the other was? Though it is an interesting theory, there isn't enough evidence to prove Serge is Janus.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2005, 10:41:00 am »
OMG,

With this theory, ISN'T IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT MAGUS DIED AND HE WAS REBORN INTO SERGE! It isn't that hard to understand.

Even if Marge and Wazuki are his parents, it doesn't mean he can't be a reincarnation of anything. Like my past reference to Buu in DBZ. He was wished and reincarnated into a kid called Uub, but some of his power he kept.

Magus had powers to predict or foretell death, right? So did Serge. Theres one thing down. They both have blue hair.. Okay.. Both have something to do with Schala or Kid....

Also, if you're reincarnated, you won't turn out the same way. Like they say, a child i based 25% on their parent and 75% on their environment. If Serge is Janus, then we see that he grew up as a nobody with a peaceful life, away from magic and something controlling what he does. Even though FATE controls people, it just puts an idea into their mind.

I won't go any farther, but you can see that it's possible that Serge was based on Magus, but not him.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2005, 10:45:13 am »
Quote from: Zaperking
OMG,

With this theory, ISN'T IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND THAT MAGUS DIED AND HE WAS REBORN INTO SERGE! It isn't that hard to understand.

Even if Marge and Wazuki are his parents, it doesn't mean he can't be a reincarnation of anything. Like my past reference to Buu in DBZ. He was wished and reincarnated into a kid called Uub, but some of his power he kept.

Magus had powers to predict or foretell death, right? So did Serge. Theres one thing down. They both have blue hair.. Okay.. Both have something to do with Schala or Kid....

Also, if you're reincarnated, you won't turn out the same way. Like they say, a child i based 25% on their parent and 75% on their environment. If Serge is Janus, then we see that he grew up as a nobody with a peaceful life, away from magic and something controlling what he does. Even though FATE controls people, it just puts an idea into their mind.

I won't go any farther, but you can see that it's possible that Serge was based on Magus, but not him.

Whoa there sunshine, no need to yell. Firstly, how and why did Magus die? There is nothing to argue that. Secondly, he couldn't predict who was going to die, he could just sense and understand what the black wind is. He didn't say that Crono was going to die, he said one of them was going to die. So again, Segre based on Magus is a big no.

DarkGizmo

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2005, 12:25:30 pm »
What I find rather amusing is the fact that even if Serge = Janus, it doesn't do a thing what do we care if he's Magus reincarneted he has no point in common with Janus and why if MAGUS died it would be JANUS that reincarned? (I'm talking about personality now)

WingedDestiny

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2005, 06:01:38 pm »
Well, unless Magus mastered time travel which I can't remember if it said he appeared to Lucca and handed her the letter or not... [ Could be like Back to the  Future where he sent a letter to a place he knew Lucca would be. Or left it somewhere she would find. ] Then he most likely would of died a long long time ago. However, if he can time travel then well.. Its doubtfull he died sime time seems to move equally no matter what time it is. It could be the past and a minute passes but in the future that same minute will pass. >>; So basically what I'm sayin is he wouldn't die from old age then. As for the blue hair.. O.o Well wasn't it said that they dye their hair? IT could be natural for Serge.. Maybe even Janus for whatever reason.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2005, 09:02:30 pm »
Magus didn't hand Lucca any letter... Lucca wrote it, and in case Kid had meet up with 'Janus', she wanted to say 'Hello.'

As far as we know, Magus is in some time period, looking for Schala.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2005, 12:56:10 am »
The dyed hair line is no more than myth.

Daniel Krispin

Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2005, 01:48:22 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka
The dyed hair line is no more than myth.

I was under the impression it existed in the original Japanese.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2005, 08:27:40 am »
Oh? I thought the Compendium never figured out where it came from...

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
Serge = Janus Theory
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2005, 10:57:27 am »
If it wasn't for Schala's hair being blonde in Cross there would have never been an arguemnt.