Author Topic: Wow (Dead Sea and other stuff)  (Read 5690 times)

Quinsisdos

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Wow (Dead Sea and other stuff)
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:43:10 am »
I've been reading the articles here for quite a while, but it wasn't until I got into Chrono Cross that I now feel like posting here. I've only experianced CC upto the questing after the Dead Sea collapses, any futher assumptions are based on what i've read here and elsewhere.

I've just been through the Dead Sea for the first time. Possibly the spookiest place i've ever seen in an RPG, props to Square for that one. But I have a couple of questions/points about this area.

- When you defeat Highwayman, a robot is left on the road, now unless i'm hallucinating, it looked a lot like Johnny  from Chrono Trigger.  Are my eyes playing tricks on me? (It was late at the time)

- Why are the Dragoons frozen outside the temporal distortion inside the tower? I know Miguel said something about them becoming "Salt for the Dead Sea". If indeed the resting place for the Home version of the Frozen Flame is Nadia's Bell, is that some kind of defence mechanism, and why is Lynx(Serge) allowed inside to meet with Miguel, and the ghosts of Chrono, Marle and Lucca?

- What is the Masamune doing guarding the entrance to the Dead Sea? When you bring the Einlanzer back, i'm assuming it returns to Dario on the Forbidden Island (I've just finished that side quest), so what does he have to do with the Masamune guarding the Dead Sea?

- I've read the FAQs regarding the Dead Sea, so i'm not sure if this theory fits in with what has already been discussed.
From what I gather here, it is assumed that because of the dimensional split caused by Serge living on in Home world, he undoes the work of Chrono and causes the eventual disaster to happen. In Another World, Chronopolis exists in a future that doesn't have Lavos in it. In causing the Time Crash, both dimensions are effected somehow, cauing the area where Chronopolis should be in both Dimensions (Home and Another, assuming the split effects all subsequent time) to fly backwards in time. at this point, the ruined world of Home's future becomes the Dead Sea, and the Sea of Eden in Another has Chronopolis.

Of course, i'm probably wrong about this, as this doesn't address what happens after the defeat of Miguel and the destruction of the Tower of Geddon/The Dead Sea. I'll continue playing and attempt to gain an understanding though ^^b

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 12:11:03 pm »
1-  Heh, dont remmber what that thing looks like.  could be :)

2- I'm pretty sure that only the Arbiter of the Flame can approach the Frozen Flame.  Thats why Serge and Co. werent frozen by it.

3- The evil Masamune confuses me...

4- Okay, heres the deal.  At first, we have the original dimension, Another.  Crono defeats Lavos, saves the future.  Chronopolis is built, time crash, blah blah blah, we get to 1010ad (agian).  Serge is saved, spliting dimensions, Another (original), and Home (irregularity).  Now, Crono saved the future before the split.  Therefore, since there was only 1 Crono at the time, he can only save the dimension that was present when he time traveled (Another).  So, by virtue of there now being a new dimension, Another is saved, but Home will not be saved by Crono, since Crono cant travel to a dimension that hadn't been created yet.  So thats why the Dead Sea is destroyed in Home.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:38:12 pm »
1. That's Johnny, unfortunately.

2. Sentenal sounds right, and I'll add that since Chronopolis/Lynx instated Miguel there, they probably have some degree of defense control.

3. This draws on a larger problem - according to the chronology, the Karsh vs. Dario thing at the Isle of the Dead is precluded by the freezing of the Acacia Dragoons, meaning Lynx never really acquired the Masamune as he did in Another World. Even if he did, the sword, if you're correct, is still there in Death's Door after Serge gets the Mastermune. I'd guess then that the Home World Masamune is unseen until it becomes the Mastermune, and that Lynx took the Another World corrupted one (that Dario died with) and placed it in Death's Door as a defense mechanism.

4. And to elaborate, it's theorized that Chronopolis didn't physically come back in time, but that the entire Sea of Eden area of EARTH was shifted back, meaning anyone who enters it is actually stepping 10,000 years into the future. The destruction of the Dead Sea is theoretically the nullification of this Gate effect, returning the Sea of Eden to its own chronological time. I don't think this issue has been specifically addressed, so someone correct me.

Quinsisdos

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 03:49:15 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
4. And to elaborate, it's theorized that Chronopolis didn't physically come back in time, but that the entire Sea of Eden area of EARTH was shifted back, meaning anyone who enters it is actually stepping 10,000 years into the future. The destruction of the Dead Sea is theoretically the nullification of this Gate effect, returning the Sea of Eden to its own chronological time. I don't think this issue has been specifically addressed, so someone correct me.

Is the 10,000 years a kind of Arbitary number? Or just one installed for convienience. Is it possible that in entering the Dead Sea you are entering an area "A" that actually exists frozen somewhere in the timeframe 2300 AD < "A" < (∞-n)? (∞ being the End of Time)

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 04:35:55 pm »
No.  Originally, it connected 7,600bc with 2,400ad.  Thats 10,000 years.

And that robot is Johnny?  does anyone have a pic, I need to see that...

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 05:20:53 pm »
I don't recall Johnny, but I remember seeing Doan's Jet Bike near the entrance of the highway.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 05:22:12 pm »
It was definitly modelled after Johnny, no question.  Might just be for nostalgia purposes, though.  The name had no "John" in it at all, it was something like "Rolling Guardian" or somethin, I dunno.  But no reference to his name at all.

Quinsisdos

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 05:24:07 pm »

Its orginally "Highwayman", but when you defeat it, it leaves this.

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 05:36:00 pm »
okay... Why is Johnny there?

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 06:51:02 pm »
because he was originally there before the Time Crash threw the entire location back in time.  And as for his being the Highwayman, do you really think that 10,000 or more years being stuck there would be good for the mind?

Sentenal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 06:58:12 pm »
I dont remmber johnny being as big as the highwayman was.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2005, 06:58:39 pm »
+10000 years

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 12:34:56 am »
What happens after Serge/Lynx goes to the Dead Sea in Home World? It's destroyed and the White Dragon saved Serge/Lynx and co.? I played it only a little while ago, but I must not've been paying attention since I don't remember anything about what happened.

I really like the theory that Zeality mentioned, with the Sea of Eden

I don't quite see how Crono couldn't save both Home and Another worlds. Normal people can exist in both dimensions, so why can't Crono and co. and thier saving the world? The time split happened in the timeline that Crono and co. had altered, so the stuff that had happened in the original timeline would happen in both dimensions, except for whatever Serge's existance caused.. Is there some flaw to that arguement?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 12:48:15 am »
Shadow, I believe it's because on the frame of Time Error, things went like this (keep in mind it's Time Error, so imagine this from Gaspar's point of view):

-Crono lived.
-Crono changed time.
-The dimensions split.

Now, I believe that since the time changing is over and done with, the dimensional split takes priority over it.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 03:20:39 am »
Hmm.. But if Crono defeated Lavos for good then went back to his time and the dimensions could only have split after the defeat of Lavos, That means there is no Lavos in both dimensions without causing a loop.
Since the split was after the defeat of Lavos (and if everyone who says that Lavos is in a pocket dimension) that would mean that Lavos is not in any time or dimension, and so defeating one would defeat the real thing.