Author Topic: Redux or not? To write or not to write?  (Read 1062 times)

GoAnderson

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Redux or not? To write or not to write?
« on: July 04, 2005, 06:56:56 pm »
Hmm... Hmm. I've been bored lately, and I wanted to start on a dream of mine -- to rewrite CT as a fanfiction, with my own style woven in.

The problem BEING, I don't know if I'd be able to do it justice or not. I'd probably need a lot of help, and where better to ask than here, the hub of the Chrono series?

My status is as follows: I've completed a basic outline of three chapters and a prologue, all of which could doubtless be added upon. I've only really been used to writing roleplay style -- in reply -- so I can't make any assurances of quality or artistic style. I don't claim to be able to match the Chrono Trigger Novel project, either... Far from it, I know they'd do it better than I can. But, a "dream" is a "dream," and "passion" has a tendancy of spurring one on in one's endeavors.

So. I come here in a humble request for help, for a test audience, and for the accomplishment of a dream.

Please, any help you might give, I will take.

I thank you for your time, and I wish for a favorable response.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 07:38:59 pm »
Meh, why bother? Just make a regular, original (if you're lucky) fanfic.

GoAnderson

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 07:46:00 pm »
This is somewhat surprising to me, but... I hadn't thought of that, believe it or not.

Usually, any original fiction I try to write, either I lose interest or the finished project is crud. So, I've been somewhat tapering off from that... not that I'm all that good, anyway.

More than anything, I suppose, I guess I'm just sort of giving a gasping breath as a self-proclaimed "writer." I don't really quite know what I'm doing, which is all-too-common.

... Sorry if I sound "emo."

Either way, I suppose, I'll try and figure something out... Thank you for that bit of advice. I'll probably still try something Chrono-oriented to start off with, but maybe it'll re-spark my interest.

Sorry for using your time in such a way.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 05:14:17 am »
yes, I was writing (in hand) an original story of mine. I got to page 11 then just stopped, I couldn't keep the story flowing. But then I started writing a CT novel called "Sunset of Dreams", which involves a second Time Crash and a war throughout time. But anyway, i started writing, and within about 3 or 4 days, got uo to about page 54.

Legend of the Past

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 05:57:35 am »
I've started my own Fanfic (Posted some of it here, already), which discusses Schala, Dark Serge and Serge. There's Kid, and Janus and CT's Glenn (Human form), but I'm not so sure how well it was done...

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 06:02:45 am »
I have read some of it already, its quite alright.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 01:29:54 pm »
Fanfiction really is a good way to practice writing. I began by trying to write a CT novelization. I got to page 10 or so, and decided that it would be better if I could make use of my own ideas more, and so decided to write a CT fanfiction instead. This was for the best for me, since my style would have been somewhat incompatable with that of true CT, I think, but nonetheless, it served as a good starting point. As I said, it lead me to my CT fanfiction, which ended being some 350 pages long, and through it I was able to practice my hand at writing and finding my style, to the point where now I am trying to write my own things (though that is a measure harder, I have found.) But be that as it may, I would say just try whatever works, as no-one is compelling you to finish it, it will serve at the very least as practice, or so I have found. Little writing ever goes to waste, after all, and even long months and years later you may find some space of wording in your earlier things that is laudable and work it into other writing.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 01:47:16 am »
I would say, go for it, by pure virtue of expending your creative energy and seeing where it takes you. John Keats was teetering on whether to write and finish Endymion or not, a 4000 line poem in a diffuse style that was absolutely grilled by the English critics (of course, who didn't recognize his genius), but he did it anyway. In a later letter, he said he was glad, because if he had not, he'd still be "piping a silly pipe" and would not have grown in his ability.

On vacation I wrote a 300 line poem venerating Cyan. It was in me; I needed to do it, and I'm a better poet for it.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 04:43:23 am »
im actually thinking of getting back into my story (the last part I did had Marle searching for Schala inside the Sun Palace on Zeal)

~LC