Author Topic: Health / Exercise / Diet & Animal Rights  (Read 3680 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Health / Exercise / Diet & Animal Rights
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2011, 06:23:07 pm »
I lived in a rural area for several years (some would be inclined to call it a farm) and I raised lambs, pigs, turkeys, and chickens, and they were all slaughtered and eaten. They were well-fed and cared for in their lives but they were raised to be food.

I simply see nothing wrong with this.

Yes, commercialization of farms and mass production of food often leads to inhumane treatment, but I don't feel that is a good reason to not eat meat. It is a good reason to review and reform the policies enforced at such places, I won't argue there. Honestly I'm more concerned with Corn Syrup being in everything and nobody having a problem with it (syrup which is made with the same corn used for mass-feeding, which is another issue. That corn is horrible for livestock).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:26:11 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »

Neither does anyone in this thread, I think. I'm fine with it, personally.

Yes, commercialization of farms and mass production of food often leads to inhumane treatment, but I don't feel that is a good reason to not eat meat.

The only thing that will force the hand of the people responsible for the abhorrent inhumanity of meat factories is either abstaining or consumer support of industries that treat animals well, like humane farms.

Also, an unquestionably good reason not to eat meat right now is the fact that the meat industry is, as I said, the WORST of all society's culprits in terms of environmental damage.. BY FAR. There is NOTHING you can do in your daily life worse for the environment than support the meat industry.

So you don't have to abstain completely from meat, but your body, society, and the planet will be better of if you are very picky about where meat comes from and eat it as our bodies evolved to eat it: rarely.

(There are societies whose diets primarily consist of meat, but my understanding is that they are pretty limited to areas of extreme conditions, like deserts or very cold places.)

Honestly I'm more concerned with Corn Syrup being in everything and nobody having a problem with it (syrup which is made with the same corn used for mass-feeding, which is another issue. That corn is horrible for livestock).

That is a huge problem, and part of the greater dietary issues we're facing, but it's definitely not more significant than the meat issue.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:46:19 pm by Syna »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 06:19:01 am »
I lived in a rural area for several years (some would be inclined to call it a farm) and I raised lambs, pigs, turkeys, and chickens, and they were all slaughtered and eaten. They were well-fed and cared for in their lives but they were raised to be food.

Animals raised to feed is one thing. Inhumanely mass-slaughtering them, especially the wild, is another. Having a farm of chickens (I refuse to say Pork) is one thing. Grabbing a spear/gun and brutally killing an innocent herd of elephants in another. See when it comes to hunger, your survival instinct dictates you want something to eat, and that's when even human meat is justified. But when you have enough food and slaughter animals for the hell of it, that's when you return to being worse than a savage animal. What's worse? Imagine you have a gigantic grinder, and now imagine yourself placing thousands of live cows, chickens and... yeah... on conveyor belt. Hit the kill switch and gleefully hear the screams of agony. Oh, wait a second. We've been there!

So you don't have to abstain completely from meat, but your body, society, and the planet will be better of if you are very picky about where meat comes from and eat it as our bodies evolved to eat it: rarely.
Couldn't have put it better myself.  :)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:02:59 pm »

This man disagrees. Wholeheartedly.

Ron: You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Health / Exercise / Diet & Animal Rights
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 01:50:54 pm »
I guess what I've managed to do is really try to study what's in season and pay attention to where the produce comes from. I don't need peaches in winter, and neither does anybody else in America, thank you, and if you pay attention you can tell the difference in the taste because the peaches didn't have to travel hundreds of miles to get to you. There's no way I could buy local exclusively, but I do try to focus on areas that are relatively closeby. All of this gets tiresome because I honestly just hate to cook and I have to rotate my menu quite alot, but my friends and I manage with group meals for each other and giving each other ideas where we can. (It's so much easier to buy groceries for a family than for one or two people, anyway.)

Thanks for the suggestions. Given the scope of this problem, I suppose it's rather noble by its own merit to crack it by finding the best sources, haha.

Ohh. Are you using a particular program? I'm lifting right now myself and am managing the epic required protein intake only by downing whey powder, like, every three hours (and I'm only lifting twice a week, and not a whole lot). All the lifting programs I see emphasize lots of meat.

I'll be doing Starting Strength. The last time I seriously lifted as 2004-2006, at which time I enjoyed a few gains but ended up extremely discouraged. I took an actual kinesiology class with what I thought was a great, science-backed textbook; unfortunately, like most of the fitness industry, it prescribed a lot of machine workouts for beginners (in addition to some basic free weight exercises) and didn't cover planning or good form at all. I also suffer from the classic curse of being tall, which creates extra difficulty for form and leverage; at some point I overtrained my shoulders bench pressing and couldn't get good advice on why it happened or how to restore them. That, coupled with not showing the same quick gains that my shorter friends enjoyed, beat me back to mostly running and racquetball. I spent the last few months catching back up, though I won't start until I start my career in the next month or two. The grocery bill will be extravagant, sigh.

I'm still incredibly disillusioned and frustrated with the fitness industry (especially for strength training). From the beginning, years ago, I knew that it was 1) fueled by unscrupulous marketing and "broscience", and 2) populated by a fair share of jackasses and sexist idiots. I never could have guessed that the use of Nautilus machines and the personal training industry were so truly corrupt, though. Rippetoe and his free-weight contemporaries seem to be scientific enough to be trusted, and offer compelling arguments and anecdotes on why the fitness industry has gotten this way. (Though Rippetoe kind of scares me at times, haha.) The level of detail for describing muscular function in each major exercise was stunning in SS. Still, the level of ignorance in this domain, ugh... To get good, frequent advice, you have to visit forums like T-Nation and seek out the contingent of sane people while wading through a sea of supplement advertisements, thoughtless plans, and erroneous "conventional" knowledge. There's also profound male gaze in effect; I have another friend who plans to use Starting Strength/New Rules of Lifting, and it's sometimes impossible to find literature or advice oriented for women. I think Bruce Lee had it right; the diets and physicalities of people can be so disparate that one must conduct thorough research and analyze one's experiences to find what works best. Given the willpower and time necessary, I'm not surprised that prepackaged plans and ignorant marketing are ruling the public discourse. I still wish some hero would come and clean the Augean Stables.

Here's my diet:

I plan to find some substitutes for items, as I'm sure eating the same things every day for 3 months in a row will engender distaste. I'm only doing a half gallon for GOMAD, as I'm not really a hardgainer. I'm also having to use Whey protein to fill out the remaining protein requirements. I'm worried how long it'll take to cook some of these items, as I'll be pursuing language studies when not working or exercising. I'll have to find the most efficient way to keep a consistent supply of groceries. (If only food never spoiled!)

I suppose I should count myself lucky for having sphere of social justice not yet exposed to the full evils of meat production. (Well, I did, before reading more of this thread :S and now I recall documentaries on the sheer inhumanity of pig farms, causing incredible environmental damage and using cages so small that sows can't even turn around; my god...) I'm not consuming beef anymore, at least... And the fight with my family years ago when I decided to stop fishing on our yearly trips was epic. Really, though, the more I study feminisms and the evils of neoliberal economics, the more I realize how truly impossible it is to deconnect from this system, avoid the global assembly line, and have a neutral ethical footprint. The very act of being alive in civilization makes one a participant in all its goods and evils. This isn't a rationalization for not being an activist, just...something very depressing to think about. I need more springtime of youth in this; it's very tiring using hatred of evil and vengeful negativity for motivation. I went ahead and included animal rights in the title of this new thread since it needs more attention here.

Which plan are you on, and do you have a similar diet plan? I made the mistake of basing my 40/30/30 ratio on grams instead of calories at first; it was pretty embarrassing.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:56:11 pm by ZeaLitY »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »
Speaking of this, the Netherlands voted to ban Kosher and Halaal preparations.

Score one for the good guys. Those techniques were developed to be "humane" according to an antiquated paradigm. Science has demonstrated that animals have the capacity for and still do suffer a lot if their throats are slit. May these practices be relegated to history forever.

I am curious as to what science has demonstrated this. The only remotely scientific information on this topic that I have been able to find are Temple Grandin's observations (now over a decade old), which indicate that the actual killing process of Kosher preparation, when done correctly, does not cause animals distress (the handling processes, on the other hand, can, but as those processes are not dictated by religious law, they have been modified in at least some localities). Likewise, some forms of Halal preparation, although not as quick as in Kosher preparation, allow for stunning the animal first. Of course, the problem with Grandin's observations is that lack of reaction does not necessitate lack of pain.

On the other hand, the law is set to have exceptions: kosher and halal preparations of meat can continue, provided that religious leaders can show that their preparation methods cause no more pain than stunning. As long as Grandin is correct, Kosher meats will still be able to be had in the Netherlands.

(In practice is another story: eating meat is typically unethical, at least, as far as I can tell, for people in first-world countries.

What makes it unethical for some but ethical for others? Merely being in a first world country rather than a 3rd world one doesn't seem to be a related criterion. Is it because we are often widely divorced from the animals we eat? (as you noted, we tend to eat a lot more meat than we ever see the living version thereof). Or it is because of the amount we eat, which produces a significant negative impact on the environment? Or something else?

...I'm not a full vegetarian nor do I think everyone should be.

A term that you might be interested in, if you have not already heard of it, is "ethitarian." It is a commitment to eating foods that are produced in an as ethical way as possible.

I will spend thousands of dollars to celebrate the day this actually happens for me. I'm still forcing myself to eat vegetables, thinking, "I'm not going to let this food beat me..." Hopefully soon.

You might want to look into what vegetables you are eating. There are many that, depending on your genetics, will never taste good. I hate cilantro, which appears to be because I am a super-taster for some of the aldehydes in it. My wife, on the other hand, loves the stuff but can't stand broccoli, again, it seems, because of her genetics. A surprising number of vegetables are this way: you might want to research some of the ones you eat often to see if there are others who dislike them and if it might be a genetic revulsion. But, that aside, a particularly tasty and easy vegetable dish is to slice up some zucchini (length-wise, not width-wise) and sprinkle some salt, pepper, and garlic onto them, then cook them on a grill for about 5 minutes (varies depending on thickness). Do the same to yellow squash, for variety (though zucchini seems to be more of a universal favorite). If they seem a little bland, then you might want to try lightly brushing them with olive oil before you season them.

EDIT: I saw your diet and kidney beans, asparagus, tomatoes, broccoli, and spinach are some of the most controversial vegetables out there, in terms of people's personal preferences. If these are the vegetables you normally eat, it might be worth trying to find others to substitute out for a while to see if that helps. Also, if you can, try to pay attention to if it is the taste or texture of something that it unappealing (the main complaints I hear about kidney beans and tomatoes have more to do with texture than taste, for example).

Paneer Tikka

Yes, yes, in the name of all that is delicious, yes!
Also, Tom Kha is amazing (but if one wants a vegetarian version, be careful as Tom Kha Gai and Tom Kha Goong have meats in them: chicken and shrimp, respectively). If I could only eat one soup for the rest of my life, that would be it.

It's depressing to me that an American would go to a damn farmer's market and think they were doing the environment a favor by eating a 'local' kiwi. Not that kiwis are off limits, but you know what I mean. That's how disconnected from nature we are...

Is that just because Kiwi aren't native to, well, anywhere but China, and thus (even if grown locally in a climate controlled area) aren't really local? If so, then I am afraid I have some bad news about the Italian food you love so much :P
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:01:07 pm by Thought »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »
I consider overpopulation and corporate abuses to be much more of a problem than human meat consumption itself. People crave and often need meat, and there's nothing wrong with that--nor should it somehow become wrong just because meat is plentiful or people are denizens of a first-world country. We owe our civilization in part to our recently evolved ability to eat meat and extract the energy it contains, and therein lies the source of the craving to eat it. I like meat, indeed I am strongly carnivorous compared to the human average, and I am not ashamed to enjoy it. More broadly, I am not interested in any solution to environmental problems that inflicts poverty or deprivation on people. (We can talk about the suffering caused to people whose lands are taken against their interests for meat production in another topic.)

As for the healthfulness or unhealthfulness of eating whatever kinds or quantities of meat, while we don't know the most intricate truths we do know from demographics that meat-heavy diets can only be, at worst, moderately unhealthy for most people or very unhealthy for a few people. I'm inclined to suspect that the reality is rather more flattering than that, however, as the people who most loudly decry meat consumption as unhealthy are seldom credible and tend to have a broader agenda that is anti-humanistic (I'm thinking of the luddite left) and plain misanthropic. Additionally, health trolling is no basis for controlling other people's choices in life unless there is a clear and serious danger to the public.

As for the kosher bit, while there are various intrinsic benefits to eating kosher food, most kashrut laws are anachronistic and foolishly superstitious, and the practices regarding animal preparation are particularly heinous due to their waste of meat and the abuse of the animal. I'm fine with seeing it banned. It's worth pointing out, however, that the surging popularity of kosher food in Western society is not due to an uptick in the Jewish population but due to a growing perception that kosher foods bypass some of the malpractices of the food mass production system--a perception that, to my knowledge, is not completely inaccurate.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:42 pm »
Ah, that feels better. It was just down right strange to have a topic on food that Josh hadn't posted in yet  :wink:

... and the practices regarding animal preparation are particularly heinous due to their waste of meat and the abuse of the animal.

On the topic of wasted meat, to my understanding generally anything that isn't deemed kosher just goes to the non-kosher market, so that waste compared to other practices are minimal to nonexistent. As for the abuse of the animals, again, my understanding is that the primary abuses are not inherent to kosher practices and are primarily in means of restraint. But as noted, most my information comes from Temple Grandin's research. Do you have information to the contrary?

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
I think we're talking about the same thing, Thought. That condition of "when it is done correctly," however, must be enforced in a real-world context and not by the ideal. Many processing plants don't do it right and thereby cause the animals considerable suffering.

I admit that I haven't actually looked up statistics to see what proportion of unusable meat is sold to secondary markets. It is permitted, and I should imagine that most if not all of it is sold in this way, but I don't actually know that for a fact.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »
Aye. Alas, most my information comes through a circuitous route, so I was hoping you had better. Shochets, it seems, don't comment much on what happens between a calving stall and a deli counter.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 11:30:53 pm »
http://behindthewall.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/04/19/6496746-chinese-activists-rescue-dogs-destined-for-dinner-table

I recall I watched this on TV and to my surprise there were so many voices. And it seems hard to persuade those who don't like dogs, let alone those who think animals are common food for humans. Even the law doesn't stand on their side. The most serious problem is how to treat those rescued dogs which cost could be really hurting.

Instead of trying to discuss whether it is right or wrong, I think this is mostly a case of like or dislike. A person who likes dogs won't feel comfortable when he/she sees someone trying to eat them, no matter how many people think that is acceptable.  But how to take action is another story, it could be really hard.

:(

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 12:20:20 pm »
What makes it unethical for some but ethical for others? Merely being in a first world country rather than a 3rd world one doesn't seem to be a related criterion. Is it because we are often widely divorced from the animals we eat? (as you noted, we tend to eat a lot more meat than we ever see the living version thereof). Or it is because of the amount we eat, which produces a significant negative impact on the environment? Or something else?

It's a matter of weighing our impact on the environment, for the most part; first world countries have a much greater one, and can afford more meat, and as such, their meat consumption is a stronger concern. In third world countries raising one's own animals is far more common, as well, and those animals generally live a far better life than the ones raised in meat factories. Inhumane treatment of animals in third-world countries is still very important, of course, but relatively speaking we are doing worse by the animals and by nature. And anyway, the difficulties of habit-changing are not to be underestimated, but it's highly doable for us to educate ourselves and gradually implement a new diet. Who knows what resources they have at their disposal to do so?

I do consider being divorced from the animals we eat an ethical and psychological concern; I think it's in humanity's best interests to cultivate an awareness and, for lack of a better phrase, psychological connection to the environment. That is a whole nother massive post, however!

A term that you might be interested in, if you have not already heard of it, is "ethitarian." It is a commitment to eating foods that are produced in an as ethical way as possible.

That's a great word! "Vegetarian" tends to invite a lot of strong responses and straw men, so I'm glad to hear it.

I had no idea that certain vegetables were genetically distasteful to certain people, either. That may explain why I absolutely loathe cucumbers and pickles beyond all meaningful description.

s that just because Kiwi aren't native to, well, anywhere but China, and thus (even if grown locally in a climate controlled area) aren't really local? If so, then I am afraid I have some bad news about the Italian food you love so much

I should have clarified. Kiwis are not local to my area -- most of the ones I see here come from Florida-- and I find it fairly obvious that a Texas farm would not be able to grow them. Nonetheless, they are at several of our farmer's markets. They are the exact kiwis you'd get at any nearby grocery store. And people think they're local. So yeah, it's not so much that they are eating kiwis -- I do that too sometimes -- it's that they're patting themselves on the back for doing something they're not doing. Sigh.

And the major reason I loved Italian food was not Italian dishes (though they were awesome, and as you may imagine, generally very different from the American versions). It was because they have so much wine, fruit, and cheese in their diet, and I never, ever, ever get tired of consuming those things in large qualities. Also, Nutella. But that is an import ;)

People crave and often need meat, and there's nothing wrong with that--nor should it somehow become wrong just because meat is plentiful or people are denizens of a first-world country

Hmm, maybe I'm not being clear -- I agree with that statement, in principle. My major objections are to the environmental impact and the animal rights issues, not people eating meat in the abstract. In our particular situation, I think it is not ethical to eat meat in excess. The ancient Vikings had every reason to do so, as do the Somalians.

More broadly, I am not interested in any solution to environmental problems that inflicts poverty or deprivation on people.

I have enough faith in human adaptability to say that we'd be able to function with less meat in our diets on both a personal and broadly economic level. We would also, in my opinion, enjoy meat a great deal more for its being rarer and of better quality. :)

As for the healthfulness or unhealthfulness of eating whatever kinds or quantities of meat, while we don't know the most intricate truths we do know from demographics that meat-heavy diets can only be, at worst, moderately unhealthy for most people or very unhealthy for a few people.

It's certainly true that a number of different kinds of diets can be effective at what they do, but it is also true that in our culture, most people do not have the time nor awareness to eat a whole lot of meat in a way that does not support the unethical majority of the meat industry, and that they would be healthier if they ate less of it. How much healthier may be in question -- I haven't looked at comparisons in awhile, and as Zeality notes, there is epic amounts of politicking and misinformation in the health field -- but I must believe that's generally true based on what evidence I've seen.

Decreasing the amount of meat in one's diet also encourages one to explore other foods, as we've been discussing. Because of the way I was raised, I was highly reliant on meat in my diet for a long time. I've gotten to the point where I don't miss it at all. I am not every other person on the planet, but I'm sure this is quite possible for a lot of Westerners who believe they need a lot of meat.  

Additionally, health trolling is no basis for controlling other people's choices in life unless there is a clear and serious danger to the public.

Agreed, and it often becomes a convenient way for people to dodge the animal rights and environment issues; it does irritate me when people make the health argument when they should be just arguing that nonhuman life has value. I didn't mean to derail the topic with it, but there is a great deal of misinformation. Perhaps it's because I live in Texas, but I hear a lot of "but meat is good for you, you need it, vegetarians are the unhealthy ones!" -- which is one of those, sigh, where do you begin? things.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:01:26 pm by Syna »

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:46 pm »
I'm still incredibly disillusioned and frustrated with the fitness industry (especially for strength training).

It is indeed a fucking wretched hive of scum and villainy. It's unbelievably obnoxious how quick someone can make a buck off of badly-interpreted scientific evidence or a poorly conceived study, often at the expense of long-term health. I follow similar tactics; I found some people I respect at the caloriecount forums, who seem to actually read peer-reviewed journals and analyze them, and look up their sources and rely on their advice. I don't know what else you can do beyond that, and experiment a lot in an informed way, as Bruce Lee seems to suggest. So much fitness journalism is blatant, pandering tripe.

I've used Rippetoe videos a lot as a reference for form; I really need to get my hands on Starting Strength, because he is definitely one of the most reliable-seeming people I've found in the free weights world, and because a) I can't afford a personal trainer and b) a personal trainer may not know what they're talking about anyway, and I don't want to pay that much money to find out!  

There's also profound male gaze in effect; I have another friend who plans to use Starting Strength/New Rules of Lifting, and it's sometimes impossible to find literature or advice oriented for women.

It is, and I'm glad to find more articles aimed at getting women to pick up more than 3lbs dumbells, because we need it. I'm using "New Rules of Lifting for Women," since Alwyn Cosgrove came highly recommended by one of those aforementioned fitness sages I follow, and I'm really happy with it; it's a good comprehensive workout that is sensitive to time concerns. The only part of that book that's "for Women," by the way, is some brief descriptions of what muscle groups are stronger and weaker for women, endless reassurances that you won't bulk up, and some pep talks. (It turns out girls weight train using 99% similar methods.) The pep talks made it worth getting versus the regular version, though-- I definitely needed some encouragement to use the squat rack o_o I'm generally the only girl in the weight room at all-- and not that 95% of the males in the weight room have ever been inappropriate to me, but it was a bit intimidating.

Dude, judging by your diet plan, you must be QUITE tall indeed!

Which plan are you on, and do you have a similar diet plan? I made the mistake of basing my 40/30/30 ratio on grams instead of calories at first; it was pretty embarrassing.

I'm using the diet plan outlined in the book, which is spare, but practical. (I just don't want to think about meals too much because I have other projects too, and the book only has a few vegetarian recipes.) I'm also doing 'lean recomposition,' which lets you gain muscle without gaining weight, albeit in a significantly less effective way than bulking and cutting. You have a slight deficit on non-lifting days and a slight surplus when you lift. I'm doing this because I don't want to have to deal with weight fluctuations, and I'm not hugely concerned if my gains are slow. The end goal is to get back into martial arts again, for me, so I want to have a decent amount of strength, but strength is going to have to be subservient to conditioning anyhow.

The best advice for hitting the right ratios I've heard is to make sure you get your caloric protein requirements in, proportional to how many grams you need (bodyweight in grams is what I've heard). Then the rest can be whatever, just be sensible about it. So I try to do that; I ever take on a bigger fitness project, however, I'd want to micromanage more. I am being pretty damn lazy.

The very act of being alive in civilization makes one a participant in all its goods and evils. This isn't a rationalization for not being an activist, just...something very depressing to think about.

This is a good way of putting it, and I think you describe the deep reason so many activists become disillusioned: we are unwittingly participating in a system which (though it has many advantages) is epically dysfunctional on many fronts. It's very easy to just shut down because one can only do so much -- one can only be aware of so much, even.

I'm not sure what to do about it, either, except perhaps repeat what I said in the other thread. I'm not sure the meaningfulness and fullness of one's life is worth the sacrifice. You have to strike some kind of balance between being passionately invested in the world around you and your own, well, psychological survival. I wish I had more of a practical sense for how to accomplish that, but one must try.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:55:19 pm by Syna »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 06:47:15 pm »
Instead of trying to discuss whether it is right or wrong, I think this is mostly a case of like or dislike. A person who likes dogs won't feel comfortable when he/she sees someone trying to eat them, no matter how many people think that is acceptable.  But how to take action is another story, it could be really hard.

I can think of two reasons why eating dog might be considered wrong, as opposed to just disliked.

The first, and stronger, argument would be that it is inefficient. In order to produce meat, an animal must ingest other living things. In a cow, this ideally is vegetation. Unfortunately, as you might well surmise, it takes an impressive amount of vegetation to produce even a little meat (unfortunately I cannot currently find reliable numbers). Consider that it would likewise take an impressive amount of meat to produce a different pound of meat. Since dogs, though somewhat omnivorous, need a great deal of meat, the meat one would get from killing them is inefficient: it would be better to get the meat from lower down in the food chain. Dog meat, then, is actually a bit of a luxury. Therefore, eating dog could be considered unethically wasteful. Of course, generally where dogs are eaten, there are enough feral dogs that it is more like hunting them rather than raising them. Which then takes us to Tush's point about hunting wild animals to feed large-scale populations.

The second and weaker argument is that ungrateful. There are indications (but not yet definitive proofs) that the domestication of dogs influenced human evolution (the hypothesis goes that, in essence, we outsourced the need for keen eyesight, smell, and hearing to dogs, which allowed us to develop our brains in other, more abstract ways). Certainly, even if that is not the case, the domestication of dogs is fundamentally different than the domestication of other animals. In short, dogs have evolved to interact with humans in ways that other creatures have not (the Nova documentary, Dogs Decoded, wonderfully covers much of this). Dogs are, for example, better at reading human emotion than most other, more "acceptable" sources of meat (this is not to belittle the intelligence of the other animals we eat).

It's a matter of weighing our impact on the environment...

Ah, so it isn't so much that it is unethical for 1st Worlder's to eat meat, but rather that action requires a series of other actions (or lack of actions) that are unethical and would be unethical regardless of if one was in a 3rd World country. It seems that, at least in part, your stance is that undue harm to the environment is unethical, and that excessive meat consumption harms the environment unduly.

As for the life of the animals we eat, you should like Portland, Oregon, then. It is a large city but also the start of the backyard farm movement. Many people there grow their own chickens and goats for their produce and meat (there are also many people who try to grow as many fruits and vegetables as possible).

I had no idea that certain vegetables were genetically distasteful to certain people, either. That may explain why I absolutely loathe cucumbers and pickles beyond all meaningful description.

Just to be clear, genetic causes tend to be in what one tastes, rather than if one likes the taste or not. Additionally, it is currently unknown just how many vegetables and herbs might be like this (there isn't exactly a lot of research being done). While there does seem to be some evidence to link cucumbers with genetics, this appears to still be mostly anecdotal.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 07:02:26 pm »
The only case I know of veggies being genetically unappealing to some people is that of cilantro, whose flavor compounds are similar to compounds in soap, and in some people cannot be distinguished from the latter.