Author Topic: Chrono Trigger- Temporal Odyssey  (Read 11582 times)

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
Chrono Trigger- Temporal Odyssey
« on: February 04, 2009, 09:42:05 pm »
A while back, I kicked around the idea of making Temporal Knight's RP adventure into a game. We've decided to make our own game with programming in C++ and the Allegro tool-kit, instead of a ROM hack. So...

HyperNerd: The project leader and all-around leader of the project.

Temporal Knight: The story director. If he flat out refuses to ANYTHING in the game, It's gone. He has just as much power as I do, if not more.

Teaflower: Art director, and one of the main leaders of the game project.

Princess Schala Zeal: The main programmer, as she has the most experience.

This is the concrete team so far. We need as much help as possible, so Anyone can volunteer, as long as they can contribute to the project, however small said contribution is. And further discussion can begin now.

Currently, the spriting goes like this:

Chris (tea)
Aderyn (tea)
Ginsuke (Nerd)
Gin (Nerd)
John
Caelum (Nerd)
Eket
Shadow
Seren (tea)
Schala
Lady Fate
Neo Zeal (if needed to be modified)
Seth
Caruban
Zak (tea)

No, I will NOT call myself Nerdy!  :lol:

The script is also currently being written, by me. Hyper Nerd. Yes.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 08:45:07 pm by HyperNerd »

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Roar through the flames of time...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger- Temporal Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:18 pm »
Aye. This will be a big project, methinks. Especially since we will have to edit the RP version to fit into the game format (cutting out things like sleeping breaks, etc.)

Also, I believe the story will focus on the characters of Chris, Caelum, and Seren. The beginning of the game will begin on Chris, and focus on a tutorial kind of thing, in which Chris will be wondering around the Altrad Royal Castle, talking to people that will train him. Then it will flash to a while later, to the part of the game where the war between the Althradian Royal Army and the Lithinian Army are at war on the Bridge before the village of Eldinia, in which Chris will fight enemies up until he fights the Goliath. After "winning", Chris will be sucked into the strange vortex that appears.

The game should then flash over to either Seren or Caelum.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »
Caelum. He comes in way before Seren. Although Tea most certainly has more backstory... Hmm... Tea, we may be able to incorparate some of your story into this...

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 10:18:16 pm »
... this feels so... weird. Um... I dunno what should happen here... uh...

Well, I actually haven't figured out how Aderyn gets to 1999 and how Seren gets to the End of Time. This is really daring, and I think that instead of working with a ROM or another programming thing, maybe an actual story would be better? I don't want to pester anyone involved in the bigger projects. Mainly because those seem more... awesome. But... yeah, that's my two cents.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 10:25:35 pm »
Schala's already working on the programming, and I was thinking about making a story also. So, we could make both. Why the hell not?

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 10:29:23 pm »
... alright. I'll get to work on some more art, probably draft some story ideas in academic support tomorrow. We'll probably just sit and do nothing. Again.

Um... if anyone else who isn't with another major project wants to help, that would be awesome. I wouldn't like people with major projects working with this because major projects are more important than this.

Schala Zeal

• 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 10:48:45 pm »
I need to know the characters that will be in the story, well...playable

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:50:45 am »
 I have a question for teaflower: Will the game resemble Chrono Trigger graphically, or are you going for something new? (I'm picturing more the former. Especially what with the sprites people made.)

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 11:29:29 am »
I believe I can awnser that. Considering most of the sprites we made look CTish, and We're trying to maintain a tradition here, I can say yes, it will resemble Chrono Trigger graphically.

Schala Zeal

• 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 03:02:20 pm »
I'm reading up on GBA homebrew and I think I have the hang of it, but I need to look it over more to see if I can make something as big as CTTO.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 08:44:44 pm »
I need to know the characters that will be in the story, well...playable

Well, I would like to make the main party at first Chris, Caelum, and Seren. Only this because of the fact that is the major party at the moment. Of course, this group is formed over time (remember when Chris wakes up later in 12000 BC? And the events that take place there?). There will be alot of cutting and rerouting of the story, which is obvious, so all of this fits into place.

As for resembling Chrono Trigger graphically, that is our goal. Of course, I feel that some custom sprites might need to be made (also obvious), especially when it comes to the Goliath and the other major bosses so far (the Mechanical Puppet anyone?).

Also, the creature that is causing the earthquakes in North Guardia is a giant mole-thing (a spoiler, oh my!). However, I don't think that will be too much of a challenge to overcome.

What bothers me are the serious plot twists (such as when Chris and the others were working their way to North Guardia, they end up going to the Fiendlord Keep, which threw me off a long way). This can be worked around, of course.

Oh, and Lavos has no part in Chris, Seren, and Caelum's Final Battle. But that is for later planning. I am hoping to leave Lavos out because it would be a cliche' to keep him in there (unoriginal, you know?).

Anywho, planning continues as normal.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »
I'll manage Sprites, If you can help me out, tea. Welcome back guys, by the way.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »
I want to work in as much of the Chrono Trigger graphic style as I can. I'll probably edit most of the sprites to my liking. But there are some problems with this. Chris used an NPC for his character's sprite, and Shadow... well... Shadow didn't use anything I'm familiar with. Schala can use the custom sprites they have for the various Schala projects (as those are simply amazing), I can rework Marle for both Aderyn and Seren (pigtails are a pain to do), although the skirts (especially Seren's, what with the poofy lacy factor) will be difficult, Nerdy is doing Caelum already, Gin and Ginsuke are easy mods of Magus... Shadow will be fun to do, as well as Chris.

What I suggest is that a large group of main characters is fully playable (Chris, Caelum, Seren...), while we might work out a system where we have sort of playable characters (sort of like what FF7 does with Sephy or what FF12 does with the guest system, though I imagine that would be really REALLY hard to do; Aderyn, Schala (maybe), Zak...), and others just NPCs all together (Geno, maybe Zak). That would be excellent, as NPCs have less sprites to them, thus are easier to work with.

Plus less continuity issues.

Temporal Knight

• Springtime of Youth
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »
"Aa, Gonzaresu
Ore wa tsuyoi
Ore ni kattara shirubaa pointo..."

Anywho....(hath been stuck in my head all day).

I like that idea. Also, the battle system might end up being interesting. It would be nice to have the same style as CT, but it will most likely be turn based.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 09:29:57 pm »
God, YOU have had a song in your head all day? I bought the Mother 3 soundtrack yesterday, and have had... SPOILERS in my head all day. I love that song.