Author Topic: Question on character-locking/unlocking  (Read 1737 times)

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Question on character-locking/unlocking
« on: July 23, 2005, 08:31:15 pm »
I looked at the part where Ayla joins you for the first time, and it locks her in so you can't exchange her...  But for the life of me, I couldn't find the command or series of commands that locks her!  For that matter, I also can't find the series of commands that locks Crono either.  Can anyone tell me how to use these so I can lock and unlock characters?

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
Re: Question on character-locking/unlocking
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 10:32:14 pm »
Quote from: Jake-A-Roonie
I looked at the part where Ayla joins you for the first time, and it locks her in so you can't exchange her...  But for the life of me, I couldn't find the command or series of commands that locks her!  For that matter, I also can't find the series of commands that locks Crono either.  Can anyone tell me how to use these so I can lock and unlock characters?

I know what you're talking about, it hasn't been found yet to my knowledge.  I'll look at it tonight, it's probably just a simple Mem command.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 10:36:03 pm »
While we're at it, does anyone know where the new game's code starts?  The code that shows the world map and birds, and then switches the view into Crono's house?  Would be helpful if I want to start a new game somewhere else, like say, to have the opening take the player right into Guardia Castle or whatever.  Anyone? =P

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 11:12:54 pm »
TF 2.0 will edit them; they're Overworld Events, which are currently very intimidating in appearance. I haven't attempted to learn anything regarding them.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 11:53:45 pm »
Well, that was easy.  The command in the Dactyl Nest summit is at offset 0282.

Address: 7F01DF

Bits:

80 Crono
40 Marle
20 Lucca
10 Robo
08 Frog
04 Ayla
02 Magus

Set the bit to lock a character.  84 would lock Crono and Ayla.  More examples:

16 = lock Robo, Ayla and Magus
E0 = lock Crono, Marle, Lucca
98 = lock Crono, Robo, Frog

The character will be locked into the current slot they are located at in the active party.  If Ayla is in slot 2 when her bit gets set, she will be locked in slot 2.  If you wanted her locked into slot 1 or 3, you'll need to shuffle your party members with AddPC/Move PC to Reserve commands.  Take a look at the code right above offset 0282 in the Dactyl Nest summit event to get an idea of how to do that.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 12:10:26 am »
And I assume if the bit is set to 00, then no characters are locked?

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 12:44:02 am »
Quote from: Jake-A-Roonie
While we're at it, does anyone know where the new game's code starts?  The code that shows the world map and birds, and then switches the view into Crono's house?  Would be helpful if I want to start a new game somewhere else, like say, to have the opening take the player right into Guardia Castle or whatever.  Anyone? =P

Location 000 Load Screen, Offset 00E3.  Change the warp party command values to the room you want to start in.  If you still get the birds and balloons intro upon the first visit to the 1000 AD overworld, let me know and I'll try to come up with a fix.

Edit: Correct, a value of 00 will have no characters locked.

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 01:00:42 am »
Hehe, thanks...  I just had this funky idea to tell the story from Marle's point of view instead of Crono's...  (Of course, I'd make the whole game about Schala in the blink of an eye if I could!) Would only be significantly different at the beginning though, except that Crono would no longer be silent. :lol:

Anyway, probably won't finish it, but might as well toy around, eh? :)

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 01:27:12 am »
good idea really, telling the story from another party members POV. And if u dont finish, it was well worth the fun and you get to learn TF betta.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 01:39:31 am »
Chickenlump's also going to do something akin to this, save it's from Lucca's perspective. Should be interesting with all the stuff he's experimenting with.

Lordchander

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • I might come back one of these days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 01:46:51 am »
i reckon something from Magus POV would be interesting, like how he came to be the prophet in Zeal and stuff (ya know, all the lead-up to the Fall of Zeal)

And yes, what Chickenlump is doing will look great as he knows a lot about TF.

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 12:35:25 pm »
7F0000 is the address you will want to write to when you have 3 or more players available, it locks and unlocks the 'Who'll you replace?' menu from being available.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 04:26:24 pm »
7F0000 is the address you will want to write to when you have 3 or more players available, it locks and unlocks the 'Who'll you replace?' menu from being available.

Please check your notes again, as that is the Storyline Counter variable.

---T.Geiger

teh Schala

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 05:08:56 pm »
Quote from: JLukas
Well, that was easy.  The command in the Dactyl Nest summit is at offset 0282.

Address: 7F01DF

Looks correct, and I found that command in the startup on the load screen, but I changed it so that Crono should NOT be locked, yet lo and behold, he still was.  Maybe there was a second command during the opening scene in his house that was there to make SURE he was locked.

Anyway, don't have time to look into it now...time to go to work.

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 09:02:02 pm »
Quote from: Chickenlump

Please check your notes again, as that is the Storyline Counter variable.

---T.Geiger

I checked into this.

If the storyline counter at 7F0000 is 49 or higher, the character exchange menu becomes available.

The 49 storyline value is when you first speak to Gaspar at the End of Time and requires the first use of the party menu for choosing who stays.

There is a routine that checks if your storyline is at 49 or higher.  Modify the byte at offset $001994 to the new value to set it at.