Author Topic: Help with the overworld sprites  (Read 3784 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Help with the overworld sprites
« on: October 18, 2005, 10:30:22 pm »
Was just wondering anyone know how to edit the overworld sprites for the characters?

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 03:42:26 am »
http://geigercount.net/crypt/

Download the CT compression and Offsets files.  You can also use Temporal Flux for the compression.

A quick summary, you'll want to decompress the packet at 059A56, open and edit it with your favorite graphics program, then compress it back to that offset.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 06:23:28 pm »
bah It's been down lately :\  but if your talkin about that do you mean the offset's guide file?  Cause if so i've searched through the whole thing and haven't found anything related to the overworld sprites.  Also i looked around a bit more and found the place to go but it looks like this :\

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=isthisit5eb.png

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 07:54:08 pm »
That's what compressed graphics look like.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/wiki/index.php?title=Modification

You can download TF at the mirror link (also requires .NET if you don't already have it)  When you run it, go to File->Compression and right there you can enter the offset above, select a file name, and hit decompress to create a decompressed file.  Then open it with the graphics editor and it'll display properly.

This also can be done with Lunar Compress:

http://fusoya.panicus.org/lc/index.html

At the command line (DOS prompt) type:

decomp file.smc 059a56.bin 059a56 12 0

After you've finished the changes, use the recompress command in either program to insert it back.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:46:51 pm »
bah, i tried reinserting the graphics and the game crashes on the world map :\  also if u reinstert it would u put in the address then press recompress.  Cause if so i did that and it doesnt work quite well it does wat i said up on the top (game crashes on the world map)

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 12:55:40 am »
It sounds like your edited file was a bit larger than than the original when compressed, and overwrites nearby data when inserted.  There's 2 options to correct this:

1. Edit the file again and "delete" any sprites that you no longer want (replace the graphics with a single color)  That will allow the file to compress to a smaller size.

OR

2. The second option is to change the pointer in a hex editor, and the location you recompress to to match it.  This puts the file in an area with more free space.  This requires knowledge of SNES pointers, but here's a working example you can use:

In a hex editor go to offset 06FDF0.  You will see the following 3 bytes: 569AC5  Replace that with A0DFDC.  When you recompress, instead of 059A56 enter 1CDFA0.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 08:18:58 am »
would u recompress it to a different rom or into the rom ur trying 2 change.  Im trying the rom i want to change and it's taking a LONG time even with the address put in.  I just waitee for like 10 minutes and it still wont recompress.

Geiger

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Geiger's Crypt
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 12:12:37 am »
bah It's been down lately

Since I work in Fort Wayne and the server is in Indianapolis, it is not exactly like I can just reboot it if something goes terribly, terribly wrong.

It has to wait until I get home on the weekend.

---T.Geiger

JLukas

• Fan Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 12:06:14 pm »
Quote from: justin3009
would u recompress it to a different rom or into the rom ur trying 2 change.  Im trying the rom i want to change and it's taking a LONG time even with the address put in.  I just waitee for like 10 minutes and it still wont recompress.

what program are you using?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 06:25:51 pm »
Tile Molester/Temporal Flux
but what i don't really understand is if i recompress it, it doesnt do anything to it.  Have an explanation at all and also how can i really edit the .bin file from the lunar compress program.  And i find it odd if i decompress a file with lunar compress and try 2 recompress the same file and havent made any changes to the file it says its 2 big :\ So im guessing im basically screwed on re-editing graphics, cept for the hero.  I don't really see what is with all these problems...and it's really getting annoying.  If someone could do it for me so i don't have 2 wry bout this $h1t anymore, cause i have better things 2 do with the hack then sit there and wonder about graphics.  If you can help just pm me or something