Poll

RSS feeds?

Yes please!
1 (20%)
No thankyou.
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 21, 2005, 05:06:44 am

Author Topic: RSS Feed  (Read 1614 times)

Dirtie

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
RSS Feed
« on: November 14, 2005, 05:06:44 am »
I've got the RSS bug lately so I'm requesting that the Compendium puts up a feed with the latest news/updates. It's just so damn convenient when you can look at your bookmarks in Firefox to see if there's anything new, without having to visit the site.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
RSS Feed
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:29:22 pm »
I moved this to Chrono Compendium Discussion.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
RSS Feed
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 06:14:33 pm »
Compendium RSS. Now that's hardcore. Why go visit any part of the Internet at all, when you can syndicate the whole thing!

Actually, I'd have nothing against a Compendium RSS feed. But, still...why bother? Coming here is supposed to be a labor of love, and it's not like ZeaLitY posts multiple news announcements every day.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
RSS Feed
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 06:17:13 pm »
Yeah, when something happens, I always post the news.

Dirtie

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
RSS Feed
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 12:56:46 am »
Exactly, that's what a feed is for, so with a quick rollover I can see if anything is added to the front page - or else I just forget to come to the site :P.

Dirtie

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
RSS Feed
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:35:33 am »
It's not that hard O_O
Here's a sample: http://media-cyber.law.harvard.edu/blogs/gems/tech/rss2sample.xml
Looks pretty damn easy to me.
More here as well: http://www.devx.com/xml/Article/10790

Ramsus

Re: RSS Feed
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 11:20:40 am »
I might as well post here for future reference, since I never seemed to notice this thread before and it has a little too much bullshit for my taste.

RSS publishing? Extremely easy to do. The current RSS script for the site took me maybe 5 or 6 minutes to write, and that was mostly the template code. I mean seriously, it's just another format to push content into. It doesn't even require any programming skill, and the most challenging part might be tweaking some SQL statement for performance reasons.

Compared to the computer science theory I study in my free time, it's like writing "Hello, World!" Any monkey with some examples of RSS and a basic understanding of SQL and any programming language could write an RSS syndication script or add it as a feature to any existing script. Depending on the template system used (or not used), one could even do it without any real programming, just by adding a new template for an existing script.

Using RSS feeds isn't much harder either, assuming you know how to look up some documentation and have an XML parsing library installed with your favorite language. The only issue with parsing RSS would be handling all of the different formats, but they're fairly semantic and it's not too hard to find online descriptions of each format, making it more time consuming than difficult.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:33:04 am by Ramsus »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: RSS Feed
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 02:32:03 am »
I wrote Hello, World. with Java once! Man I was proud.